DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

BBC Iplayer

Posted by rdh - Created: 6 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Ras-214972 - 6 years ago

The non-UK iPlayer app is subscription; you pay either by the month or by the year. It works out cheaper to take a year, but you can just try for 1 month to see if you like it (this is a recurring monthly subscription until you cancel it). The subscription is billed to your iTunes account. I can't recall the monthly amount.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Cheeseplant - 6 years ago

I agree the BBC iPlayer 'Global' doesn't give you access to all the most recent programs but niether is it limited to Only Fools & Horses and Eastenders. There's a good selection of stuff and of particular interest to me is very current Panorama programs. For 65 euro it's streets ahead of the rubbish available on BBC Entertainment which is my usual fodder.

Sorry no image available
Posted by rdh - 6 years ago

Great Raz!

Thanks so much for explaining that to me, I now understand that I must get a French iTunes account to get the different App.

However I did not realise that you could not watch up to the minute BBC Progs on it, so its very similar to the BBC Entertainment channel on my Orange TV box!

Thanks again for you help I will now revert to plan B !

Richard

Sorry no image available
Posted by Ras-214972 - 6 years ago

Note that there are 2 different iPlayer apps - the one UK residents use, and the one none-UK residents use. They are only available in the UK iTunes app store and non-UK iTunes app store, appropriately.
The UK version works like iPlayer does in the UK - it gives you access to recent broadcasts in a streamed way, but programmes older than 7 days are not available. You are unable to download to watch programmes offline.
The non-UK version works differently. The types of programmes are different - they tend to be older archive material, Fawlty Towers, etc. Only some recent TV shows are available (I think EastEnders plus one or two others). But the normal range of UK BBC programmes you would expect to see, are not available in this version. However, this version DOES allow you to download programmes to watch later offline. And the programmes available are available indefinitely, they don't expire.
If you have moved country and switched your iTunes account from one country to the other, you might have both of them installed, but only the non-UK version which has a subscription works outside of the UK.

Sorry no image available

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I have an iPad and downloaded the app from iTunes.

Sorry no image available

Hi,I subscribed just after Christmas when I was in France and the yearly subscription was 64.50 euro. The process was easy and the money was deducted from my iTunes account, the problem started when I came back to Monaco only to find the dreaded 'Sorry BBC iPlayer is not supported in your country' message. Just as well I downloaded a lot of programs when I was in France and will presumably need to forage across the boarded for my next fix.

Sorry no image available
Posted by rdh - 6 years ago

Yes thanks Chris,I have been looking at that as well,but still no answer to my question. Managed to get on to the You Tube BBC/Global site but was unable to subscribe,perhaps its because I don't have a French computer!?

Sorry no image available
Posted by ChristopherL-188542 - 6 years ago