DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Biological control of mosquitoes

Posted by HandA-281266 - Created: 6 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by HandA-281266 - 6 years ago

Ruth

Many thanks for finding the information on the Monaco web site. I found the biocide Vectobac at

http://www.produit-antinuisible.com/insecticide-vectobac-wg-boite-500g.htm

and it does seem safe for everything (except mosquitoes :-) ).

It is rather expensive - E100 per 500gms, but you only need 10gms per 5L of water to use in a pressure spray, so one tub would last quite a long time.

Thanks again and best wishes for success persuading your syndic to adopt this.

Arthur

Sorry no image available
Posted by RuthR - 6 years ago

This sounds interesting. There's info on the Monaco government website: http://www.gouv.mc/Action-Gouvernementale/La-Qualite-de-Vie/Actualites/Lancement-de-la-campagne-de-lutte-contre-les-moustiques#
According to the website they are using a biological larvicide called Vectobac. Hopefully this works and doesn't harm other bugs and animals. I really hope that other local communes start to try to control mosquitoes. We suggested that the gardens in our residence in Antibes be sprayed with a biological larvicide, but our neighbour, who's in charge of the residents' committee, just shrugged his shoulders and said that he doesn't think mosquitoes are a problem. Yeah right! The Asian tiger mosquito problem seems to be getting worse each year.

Sorry no image available
Posted by GreenLeaf-314739 - 6 years ago

It more than likely comes from a company in Carros as I have dealt with them before for spraying olive trees but they only deal with professionals and farmers with the proper certification.

Sorry no image available
Posted by eurokiné-187861 - 6 years ago

contact the environmental department of the mairie in Monaco, they should be able (and willing) to give you more details but the product could be one which is only available to professionals. Keep us informed if you get more details please