DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Black spot on roses

Posted by lindafrobisher. - Created: 8 years ago
0 0

I have a lot of black spot on some of my roses this year. I've tried various remedies over the years, both home made and shop bought but with only limited success.

Anyone have a solution please?

Linda.
I'm forming a coalition with my fella!!

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by rosalinde - 7 years ago

Had to go b ack into hospital for a bit so couldn't reply. Thks Linda & Juliadevi for useful advice and sites, will try the white oil recipe.

Julia, the ecoexpert in question is at the moment in the forests of southern ecuador, so can't get precise info from him. I know he thinks the situation of drastically declining bee populations so alarming and serious that any pesticides should be avoided in the garden/potager. I think all responsible eco-gardeners agree on this. If you use an organic soap then this shouldn't be a problem, and perhaps just a drop or two of the commercial chemical washing up liquid shouldn't be too harmful. If the bees die on us then we've all had it! My erstwhile flourishing sage bush is now a sorry sight but the swarms of bumblebees around it really gladdened our hearts, having seen so few this spring. I think all chemical-based products, domestic and cosmetic, are harmful and end up polluting the environment and I'm trying to eliminate them as well.

As for black spot, my roses still have it but as I said the plants are healthy and the roses still coming, I just pick off the affected leaves now. Will try the white oil treatment.

Sorry no image available
Posted by lindafrobisher. - 8 years ago

Thanks Richard, I've been using that method for a number of years for pests but it has never stopped the black spot. I've recently sprayed the roses with my oil mixture and this seems to have helped a bit.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Trace-278695 - 8 years ago

hi there, an old remedy thats worked for me in the past ,as silly as it sounds washing up liquid with warm water ,good luck hope this works for you as it does for me.apply last thing in the evening

kind regards Richard

Sorry no image available

Juliadevi, I've just mixed up another batch of white oil. Up till now I've been using baby oil, but this time I have used sunflower oil and the oil to soap ratio that your link suggested.

The white oil has been soooo effective. It will be interesting to see if this slightly different mixture is better or worse.

Sorry no image available

I forgot to say Rosalinde, I can't find any references to the washing up being harmful. I only use a couple of drops per litre so it is very diluted. I haven't noticed any problems with the Bees.
I too would be interested in hearing your friends thinking on this.

Sorry no image available

Thanks Julidevi, that's another good site. Like you, I've been using the white oil since last year and have had good results.

Sorry no image available
Posted by juliadevi - 8 years ago

by the way, rosalinde, i didn't mean to imply that your friend was mistaken, but i would love to hear their explanation, i'm open to listening to it if you remember it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by juliadevi - 8 years ago

linda, i agree with you about the washing-up liquid, i use an organic, no-phosphate, biodegradeable soap that i buy from the health food shop in bulk (satoriz, if you're interested). a weak soap solution is my first line of defense against almost anything, and i think it's amazingly effective. not to disparage your friend, rosalinde, but i'm an eco-conscious biologist and the reason why i use this soap is because it's minimal damage for maximal effect.

most recently i've used it on my citrus trees for white fly, it hasn't harmed the trees, has eliminated the vast majority of white flies, and the bees seem to be quite happy in the garden.

now, the white oil that linda recommends is something that you can make up at home.... using oil, water, and washing-up liquid as a catalyst... i found a recipe here ( http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s2281115.htm ) 2 years ago and made up a batch to treat some pesky cotton scale on my lime tree. it worked!

Sorry no image available

Rosalinde, here's another good site. http://davesgarden.com/

Sorry no image available

Rosalinde, I've been using the washing up liquid method for years, I wouldn't have said it was useless as I have seen results but I will look into it.

If you look at this posting the recipe for the white oil is there plus a couple of very good links.
http://riviera.angloinfo.com/forum/topic.asp?page=7&topic_id=154844
Also on this posting is where to get Ladybirds etc, I ordered various bugs last year and was very pleased with the results.

My OH is fanatical about deadheading (and deadwooding) and I'm pretty much that way too, it certainly helps the plants, especially roses. Before you deadhead some plants try and collect the seeds.

You're right of course, it's a real uphill struggle maintaining a large garden but it's well worth it.