DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

caterpillars

Posted by melandave - Created: 6 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Suzanne C-192641 - 6 years ago

LOL! Yes, I know what you mean! Every day is a bad hair day for them!

Sorry no image available
Posted by J366 - 6 years ago

@ Suzanne C: haha...what a fabulous idea!! Your post made me smile for a sec there as the image of a mini caterpillar hair salon and tiny cans of Elnett zoomed into my head :)

Sorry no image available
Posted by melandave - 6 years ago

interesting and useful thoughts posted here; not least from trae1107, as my itchy lumps are already getting worse!! So serves yet again as a warning about these little creatures!!

And logical thoughts added also (wish I'd thought through before!!) that whilst burning the nest, keep out of the smoke etc!!

all the best.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Suzanne C-192641 - 6 years ago

Apparently you can spray these creatures and their nests with hairspray before attempting to remove them as it stops them being able to "shoot" out the hairs.

Sorry no image available
Posted by GAnthony - 6 years ago

Yes really nasty. It is not the insect itself that is toxic, it is their hairs. Touching them will transfer hairs to your clothing. So when destroying a nest, as has been suggested, first of all place it in a plastic bag. Burning is a problem since the hairs will become detached and become airborne. If you get anywhere near the smoke you will have a bad reaction. If you insist on burning, do it well away from people and animals. Before you burn, see which way the smoke will go. When it has burned, damp down with water, then seal the remains in another plastic bag for disposal. Keep children and pets well away as you cut down and destroy these nests. If you see these insects already on the ground, they can be killed with insecticide spray, carefully (slowly) shoveled into a plastic bag, and sealed for disposal. Wash all tools/gloves after use to remove any residual hairs. At all times wear full protective clothing.....long gloves, hat scarf, etc.

Sorry no image available
Posted by trae1107 - 6 years ago

After several years of nest removal practice, my husband removed one a couple of weeks ago taking usual precautions and ended up having to see the doctor about the itchy lumps that appeared - they wouldn't go and were getting worse. Apparently, in some people the allergic reaction doesn't go away by itself and has to be "stopped" by a dose of cortisone or similar. So keep an eye on those itchy lumps!

Sorry no image available
Posted by melandave - 6 years ago

So sorry to hear about your dog - it is because of cases like this that we took care (got a dog). I wouldn't have called the fire department, it is do-able (as long as not too high in tree I guess), just care needs to be taken. Bag around the nest, cut branch, burn, protect skin.

Sorry no image available
Posted by J366 - 6 years ago

Gosh yes! Thanks so much for reminding us...I've never actually tackled the nests, but when I've seen them on the ground I'm afraid the only way is to pour lighter fuel on them and burn them...our dog ate one once and the poor thing ended up suffering terribly...lost a quarter of his tongue and he was seriously never the same again after that.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Floridian-312987 - 6 years ago

There are professionals to do this.

Maybe even the fire department for free????