DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Cheap telecalls 2 UK

Posted by sunnyw - Created: 15 years ago
0 0

Hi

Does anyone have info on how to make cheap telecom call to uk etc from home ?

Thanks

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Graham Facey - 15 years ago

GPRS is a data service which runs at least three times as fast as normal GSM data. You pay according to the amount of data you transfer, rather than the length of time you are connected. This normally leads to significant savings.

The French mobile operators only offer GPRS as an option on contracts with a minimum of around 200 minutes per month "forfait", so you are looking at around 46 euros per month.

Concerning normal GSM data, whilst in France you can use your French mobile operator as ISP, and pay less than if you call someone like Wanadoo.

I would be happy to discuss the pros and cons with anyone, if you would like to call me during business hours on 06 86 36 58 61.

Graham

Sorry no image available
Posted by sunnyw - 15 years ago

hi

please check www.uctv.com as well or called universal telecom.seems they are international.....

thax

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 15 years ago

Richard

Re internet calls on mobile,  friends of mine who stayed here investigated this and it seems that the only cost effective solution is something called GPRS,  which for some reason they could not get.  I am not an expert on this, no doubt somebody here is and can enlighten us!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jan-181414 - 15 years ago

I use Teleconnect. All my calls go though them, local, international and mobile. You also get a special number that you can use to call from any other phone. This is good if you have teenages, they can carry the number with them, and always be able to call home, even from a call box.example prices 47 mins to UK at 4pm in the afternoon 3,27 8 mins to Antibes at 11.30am 0,20Their phone number is 01 30 24 46 07 and they speak EnglishIf you are going to sign up quote my account number and we both get 5,00 euros credit no..040320222PBJanAnything for a peaceful life

Sorry no image available
Posted by richardr-181963 - 15 years ago

Thanks Mike - I've just been looking at their site. Even with the 01... call onthe mobile, it'll probably be cheaper still. The one that I'd really like to make headway on is the internet connection. It looks like it's about 0.50 eu/min which is just too much for anything - even collecting email. Is it just impractical for this sort of usage? (or is it a case of getting a subscription sim rather than a payg?)

Thanks

Richard

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 15 years ago

Les Minutes offers services for cellphone to.  Either a callback service, or you can call their Paris number and dial through from there.  The former is more expensive,  the latter allows you to use up your unused abonnement minutes on your cellphone and is cheap.

Be careful with OneTel.  Their business ethics leave much to be desired.

Sorry no image available
Posted by richardr-181963 - 15 years ago

But what about from a mobile? We're currently on a Bouyges pay as you go. Any ideas anyone?

Also, on the same topic, we're using the mobile as a modem for internet connection which is very expensive (attached to Wanadoo on the 0860 number). Anyone got any ideas for a cheaper alternative on the mobile (as we can't get a land line installed here)?

Thanks in advance

Richard

Sorry no image available
Posted by sunnyw - 15 years ago

thanks a lot for all that info .Very handy and of course money saving

regards

Sorry no image available
Posted by HarryDay-186340 - 15 years ago

I confirm: Les Minutes is a very good service

Harry

Sorry no image available
Posted by harvster-181676 - 15 years ago

I have found www.lesminutes.com really good ... in fact the trial offer gives you about 25 minutes of free calls (they say its 50 minutes of French calls but the international calls worked too).

cheers, Si