DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Computer help needed

Posted by Jan-181414 - Created: 15 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Pilier1 - 15 years ago

It takes out configuratrion changes, virus damage etc... that may have been done; you'll also lose programmes (but not saved files, docs etc...) installed after your chosen roll-back/restore date.

Andy

Sorry no image available
Posted by flashharry82 - 15 years ago

I dunno if it's any help to anyone but i figured i would put up a post anyway. I had the same problem for ages and finally figured out that IE 6 in XP had set the http 1.1 setting but hadn't set it to work through my firewall. So the http setting "HTTP 1.1 through proxy connection" in Tools > Internet Options > Advanced should be ticked aswell as the "HTTP 1.1" box.

Sorry no image available
Posted by thesius - 15 years ago

Sorry tried going through my system which is the same version to find a possible problem and to remember what happened to mine without success.  It does definitely seem to be uniquely IE6 that is the problem.  If you can't uninstall it then it would most likely be a corrupted registry file.  Try Norton Systemworks on it or otherwise it's a manual remove job, no need to wipe it all, but no picnic either.

Good luck, having a very temperamental unit myself I sympathise!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jan-181414 - 15 years ago

I would just like to say a big thank you to Legend, he has just spent Sunday afternoon trying to fix this problem. But still no luck.But he did install Netscape for me, so at least I am back in business, but it's not the same as using microsoft.It is not a virus, but a problem somewhere withen internet explorer, for some mad reason we cannot delete it and re-install, so we are still trying to find a solution.Jan

Sorry no image available
Posted by thesius - 15 years ago

Jan, Since you are using XP, why not use the "role-back" feature in the system restore part of control panel, just tell it to reset the system to the last time you knew it worked and back up your data.  You will not lose any files or folders.  I have had this problem with Wanadoo and ADSL before and will try and wrack my fatigued mind to remember the solution this evening.  I am presumng that the ADSL is new?  If you role-back then you will need to re-install it.  What Anti-virus and firewall are you using?

Sorry no image available
Posted by j_c-182689 - 15 years ago

Jan

Fixing computers remotely is a nightmare. People with good intentions but not all the necessary information will provide help which may backfire. I'm not sure about the 'cookies' or 'virus' related answers, but wasnot_me is, I think, on the right lines when he talks about the SSL settings (which makes a change from some of his posts in other forums). To follow up on his suggestions, go to Internet Explorer Help, About and check that the cipher strength (below the version number) is showing 128 bits. If it is not, check this out http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q303807 

If your deadline is looming, I suggest two things; either pay someone to fix it (could be expensive and not guaranteed to work in time); or go to Microsoft's site www.microsoft.com , select Support, Knowledge Base from the upper drop down menu, then search for your problem's keywords. I tried this already but your error message, as quoted in your first post, does not come up with a result. As you are sitting in front of your machine, you may be able to provide additional information in the Search criteria.

If you find a Microsoft solution to your problem, you can be sure it will be well documented, clearly explained and, most importantly, it will work.

If the Knowledge Base search does not provide a solution, Microsoft also propose personalised help, but it costs. Before you go down that road, make sure you have as much of the relevant information as possible (exact error messages, pages where the errors occur, versions and releases of operating systems and software) and ask yourself, and the other four users, did anyone do anything to change something - installing new software, customising, configuring, deleting, removing, etc? Honesty helps here.

A third option may be available to you - use another machine to access these sites, then compare all the Internet Explorer settings (Tools, Options, Security/Confidentiality/Content/Advanced).

At least you can still post messages here, so all is not lost.

Hope this helps 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jan-181414 - 15 years ago

Well I.m still here..hav'nt messed up completly, but I still cannot get internet explorer to work as it should. I still cannot enter https sites.
I have tried all the options you have given, but no luck..
Do you have any new ideas...?
We even tried to delete internet explorer and reload, but for some reason it would not download fully, came up with an error XP LOGO NOT AVAILABLE don't ask why.
It seems the only answer here is to clear the computer completely and start again.

ALLAN We are using windows xp, through ADSL-wanadoo
and we have explorer volume 6.

Wednesday is the deadline for fixing this.
And the cookies are still on offer.
After that the computer will be wiped clean.

Janet

Jan

Sorry no image available
Posted by Alain-182671 - 15 years ago

You could also try restoring the default settings, goto Tools/Internt Options/Advanced and klick the retore defaults button, buy the way it's the tools menu in Internet Explore.

Let us now if it solved the problem.

Alain

Sorry no image available
Posted by Alain-182671 - 15 years ago

It would help if you told us what opperating system you have and what version of internet explore you use.

Have you ever heard of viruses, you might have one or two, sorry, your computer might have them, do you have an antivirus system installed? if so, do you run the Live Update function on a regular basis?

You are welcome to call me on 06 16 95 66 50 if you still have problems. I have killed 10000000s of viruses.

Alain

Sorry no image available
Posted by Trudie-183812 - 15 years ago

....Or who's operating the system!Trudie