DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Dry stone wall

Posted by Bugsintheattic - Created: 6 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Bugsintheattic - 6 years ago

Thanks for all the advice. The wall will be local quarried stone so will need shaping. Dimensions: 12m long x 600 deep x 2m high with re-bar throughout.

Does anyone know a mason called Juan?! His work is top notch but I lost his phone number!

Sorry no image available
Posted by ChristopherL-188542 - 6 years ago

how much would one expect to pay per m2 just for the laborProfessional masons do not work by square metre - they take a lot of things into account as Goupil and soundsalike have both said. The most important dimension is the thickness (depth) of your stone and regularity of the raw material. In fact the most reliable unit of measure for the work would be a cubic metre. Figure on paying about 450-500 Euros per c.m. hors taxes. A decent mason can probably put up 1 to 1.5 c.m. per working day so you are looking at about 450-700€ cash per day or 550-850€ (TTC) depending on thickness, stone regularity and whether a labourer is available or not.

Sorry no image available
Posted by benandal-185374 - 6 years ago

its funny, because i've just had a quote today from a VERY, VERY good guy - he charges 80 euros per m2 - labour costs of courseEmail me if you need his number - he does't speak any english.Ben

Sorry no image available
Posted by soundsalike - 6 years ago

Its how long is a piece of string? depends entirely upon the stone you choose, example, round stones do not slot together precisely so cutting to fill and pack is necessary, this takes time. maximum I would estimate is 2 m2 per day as stones have to be selected and back fill as the wall rises, dont forget to put in back drainage as ground water can push a dry wall very easily.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Goupil-198464 - 6 years ago

All depend if the mason is working alone. Yes i did the job alone and I am very proud of it. It is a back breaking job.

A dry stone wall, ie without concrete, is much faster to build. It takes a while to do proper foundations and shift the spoil

Sorry no image available
Posted by helzangel-294827 - 6 years ago

Hi there

I can recommend a time served stone mason. He did work on our villa. Contact me privately for his details and if you would like some photos.

Regards

Sorry no image available
Posted by Bugsintheattic - 6 years ago

Hi. Assuming (?) you did a DIY job with your wall, roughly how many m2 would you say a mason could do per day? Thanks.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Goupil-198464 - 6 years ago

When I built my stone wall, it took me about a days work to assemble a square meter and a half with concrete behind.