DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

eccentric electricity?

Posted by lynnettejane1 - Created: 15 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by lynnettejane1 - 15 years ago

thanks to all, will chase it uplynnette

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 15 years ago

In my old house, if we turned the hi-fi up too loud,  the whole show tripped. 

As pointed out, it's down to the meanness of the local peasantry, in this case the owner of the house,  getting the cheapest tariff to save a few 'sous'.  Easily rectified.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jan-181414 - 15 years ago

We had the same problem in the place we were living before.It was impossible to run the washing machine and the kettle at the same time. But as legend said, all you need to do is go to EDF and increase your consumption level, the higher the level the higher the abonnementJanAnything for a peaceful life

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 15 years ago

Must admit I had'nt thought of the 'low power tariff'  scenario as I live in an old apartment with the circuits divided up , according to the power required - when something blows , I just change the ceramic fuse in the appropriate breaker or wrap some aluminium foil ( instead of fuse wire )around the blown fuse to make a contact , till the next time !! However, don't try this method yourself !!stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 15 years ago

In France, an under-rated supply tariff is the most likely cause for tripping the SOLE breaker (if indeed you have only one built into the distribution box).

That means that the people before you signed up for a low-level tariff and the box is delivered with a breaker marginally capable of delivering that consumption.  You should check your tariff with the EDF and see what it would cost to go up to the next one.

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 15 years ago

You have a problem with the capacity of the electrical circuit you are plugging the kettle into - in other words, not enough amperage is being provided ; there is no such thing as a ' booster ', but the fusebox warrants a look at by a competant electrician to determine if the circuit wiring will accept a breaker or fuse of a higher capacity , or even the installation of another wiring circuit ! Do something about it before you have an accident which may cost you more than you envisaged !!

stgeorge