DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

EDF Tariffs

Posted by wittym - Created: 6 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

3 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 3)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Aikipaulo - 6 years ago

I just looked at the EDF web site and either the price has changed or I did my calculations wrong, there's only just over 10 euros a year difference in subscription between day/night tarifs on a 45 amp subscription (that most people have) and normal tarifs so OTH is right, its worth going for day/night tarifs (heures creuses/heures pleins).

Sorry no image available
Posted by ouch that hurt !-230853 - 6 years ago

This may be true I don't know enough about electrics, & switching on & off is something I used to do when I was a student, painfull !However, you have to pay the electrician & cost it into the equation ! I wd just ring up EDF & ask what contract you have, & get it adjusted to day/night, Your hot water will be heated at cheap rate, & you then only use you washing machine & dish washing at night rate, & any other high consuming jobs like pyrolyse for the oven.....you will ultimately save money.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Aikipaulo - 6 years ago

Hi wittym,
The device decides when electricity is sent to your water heater (called a contacteur in French), according to the signal sent by EDF. If you are subscribed for the tariff jour/nuit, EDF will send electricity to the device during the off-peak, night periods, when electricity is less expensive, and the device works like a switch, switching the water heater on during this period, and swithching it off the rest of the time.
If you saw no mention of jour/nuit on your electricity bill, the chances are that your not subscribed to this tariff, so the device will do nothing - it will either be on all the time or off all the time depending on the position of the switch.
You therefore have several choices - you either subscribe to the jour/nuit tariff (which will cost more than the standard subscription but your water heater will only be on during off-peak, cheaper periods), or if you don't want to do that you can put the hot water heater on a timer in the fuse box by replacing the device you have with a timer (careful about doing this yourself unless you have a good knowledge of electricity), or you use the switch on the device to switch in on or off manually.
If you opt for the timer they cost between 50 and 70 Euros. When I did the calculation for me (family of 4 here all year round) I calculated it was cheaper to use a timer in a fuse box, but this really depends on how much hot water you use, and also what other appliances you can use only in off-peak periods, such as washing machines and dish washers.