DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

eggshell paint

Posted by tontine-186735 - Created: 15 years ago
0 0

Can anyone tell me what eggshell paint and sugar soap are known as in France, just moved to Vallauris and we have a lot of painting and cleaning ahead of us!!

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by danonimes-184717 - 14 years ago

my local freebie newspaper has just published a recipe for Milk Paint for use on wood. You have to wait until the milk goes off, strain it, seive it, throw away the liquid and mix the rest with water based colorant, apply two coats and finish off with beeswax.Not sure what it smells like while you're painting, but the article says there's no aroma once it's done.Fairy Liquid in cement/concrete.tontine, my old man was using Eggshell paint in the sixties as well - are we siblings? dublinmike, what your neighbour says could apply to a lot of things in lifelike golf

Sorry no image available
Posted by dublinmike-182617 - 14 years ago

An old neighbour here in the mountains who was for 40 years a painter of some repute doing decorative finishes gave me a great tip;

He says that the difference between a good finish and a bad finish, is not the materials used, but the confidence in the stroke. I think that's great and very true.

Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by Lilijan - 14 years ago

Thanks for the information on Eggshell Mike.  Ive just finished a decorative art course .. started in England and Finished in France and they ask for so many obscure products that Ive had to improvise a lot.  It was only doors for distressed finished that I want the Eggshell and can mix up colours.

On the fairy liquid side, I found when cleaning expensive brushes .. badger, etc, to keep them in good condition after cleaning a 2 in one shampoo works wonders. 

I shall certainly have fun trying out finishes on my old maison de village here .. Im sure they didnt have fancy finishes originally!

Lilijan .. nr Carcassonne

Jan

Sorry no image available

Just to add one more thing, sugar soap is rarely used these days either, although you can if you want. In the painting trade the guys use Fairy liquid (in fact the all the trades seem to use Fairy for everything), although I know you can't get it here, but a very expensive washing up liquid will do the trick. I've used a nice smelly MIR to good effect.

Sugar soap was used to remove grease residue before painting in the abscence of anything else as the soaps available back then left a soapy fatty residue (being based on animal fats). Today's liquids don't really do that if you get the best ones.

Mike

Sorry no image available

Maybe he mixed it himself? I wasn't in the paint buying age group in the 60's so perhaps it was available then.

Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by tontine-186735 - 14 years ago

thanks very much Mike, I knew the right answer was there somewhere.  I do seem to remember my dad using it in the 60's though.

Sorry no image available

Eggshell only recently became available as a 'product' in the UK when some enterprising paint manufacturer cottoned on to something that people wanted, many were using, but didn't exist inthe shops!! Lot's of people ask for eggshell paint, but nobody sold it. Yet lots of people were using it!

The answer to this mystery is that Eggshell paint is a 50/50 mixture of gloss and undercoat (I should be charging you for this). that's it, voila. Both oil paints, the gloss hardens the undercoat and makes it less prone to marking, and the undercoat tones down the minging shine from gloss.

It's really meant for doors and furniture etc. Don't even think about putting it on walls. (I've seen it done) If you're thinking along those lines it's not eggshell you want.

Have fun, and use a very very very good mask. The odours today are merely masked, the carcinogenics are still in the can.

Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by danonimes-184717 - 14 years ago

tontine, try not to think of things solely in terms of translation. When it comes to decorating, building, renovating, whatever, there is not just the vocabulary to learn, but also the tools and techniques. Spend time in the aisles of Casto, Briconautes, Leroy Merlin and the like, just looking at the stuff and reading the labels, pick up any freebie leaflets that are hanging around, or buy some of the magazines/guides that they sell.I've been here 10 years, and I'm still learning.have fun.....

Sorry no image available
Posted by Lilijan - 14 years ago

Can you please tell me where you can buy Eggshell paint in France - I have searched many paint shops, but noone knows where to find it.Jan

Sorry no image available
Posted by Humptydingo-180377 - 15 years ago

From dico des termes (www.bricolons.com)

Egg Shell

Peinture coquille d'oeuf.

Nom commun pour décrire les peintures satinées (commonly described as les peintures satinées )

Sugar Soap

Soude (cristaux ou liquide)

Différentes appellations : lessive des savonniers, lessive de soude, esprit de savon. S'emploie comme décapant des vernis, peintures et comme dégraissant. Produit alcalin à manipuler avec des gants. A conserver à l'abri de l'humidité