DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Empty Terrace

Posted by JEAN HOMSY - Created: 5 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by SunnySue-315619 - 5 years ago

Indigomonaco - I had lavender in biggish pots and they did really well, year in year out. That was when I lived in Nice with a big terrace. I'm now in the country, so no need for pots. I made sure not to over-water them though! Keep trying, maybe you were just unlucky so far.

Sorry no image available
Posted by JEAN HOMSY - 5 years ago

Thanks for the offer. Imeant to gather some more information on before I go so,will contact you.

Appreciate the thought.

Sorry no image available
Posted by fatlessfruitloaf - 5 years ago

Jean,

I also need to go to Italy for some lemon and lime trees and hanging plants. I could pitch in and come with you if this is any help. I am on the way to Monaco. I also have a HUGE terrace to fill.

Sorry no image available
Posted by fatlessfruitloaf - 5 years ago

Great topic,

Where did you go for your lemon and lime trees?

Sorry no image available
Posted by indigomonaco - 5 years ago

SunnySue... have you managed to get lavender to flourish on a terrace!! Mine have failed the past 2 summers!!  What's your trick?

Cheers!

Sorry no image available
Posted by indigomonaco - 5 years ago

Not sure where you could buy your plants without having a car (we usually go to the big pepinerie up by St Isodore). You could buy plants from the flower market down at Cours Saleya, although I'm sure you'll find their selection lacking, and prices probably higher... 

Italy is usually cheaper for everything!!!  

Our olive trees and oleander do really well., very hearty and healthy!...  The agapanthas are low and full and green all year 'round (flowers in the summer), and my rose bush still has blossoms mid January!  We get good sunlight as we have southern exposure. Bought a jasmine last summer... it's spread like wildfire, and I look forward to seeing it blossom in the spring. Should be great.

We had trouble with our bougainvillea last year, but it was only because of a mealybug infestiation... going to try again this year as it's so iconic!  

Picked up a lemon tree just before winter... we'll see how it goes!  And our spiky palm requires very little care at all! 

Good luck!!!  Most things grow easily!! 

Sorry no image available
Posted by JEAN HOMSY - 5 years ago

thank you for your kindness in replying.  Can you tell me a good place to go to buy .?  I heard

Italy was good but then I would have to rent a car/van for the day so what would. I save.

Hope you can know somewhere.   jean

Sorry no image available
Posted by SunnySue-315619 - 5 years ago

Definitely herbs but I'd also go for geraniums (lots of colour), oleander, lavender and solanum (the climbing variety is great and grows really fast). Stick to plants that are seen a lot in this part of the world, they're more likely to work easily.

Sorry no image available
Posted by ESS-209984 - 5 years ago

It depends where you are an how sunny it is.   If you are in full sun all day, many flowers will wither and die.

I like my Lemon and Lime trees - they are very compact, but produce loads of fruit.   Then herbs are lovely to grow - basil, thyme, chives, tarragon, origano, parsley, sage, mint (but it does not like too much heat) - and growing your own chillies is great fun as well!