DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Garden Beatles

Posted by jvshepp-182787 - Created: 15 years ago
0 0

Anyone please help to identify a lot of beatles around our Hibiscus bushes, it's 1 cm long, red back with two distinct black spots, & black triangle, is it friend or FOE please! ??  win

Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by jvshepp-182787 - 15 years ago

They don't seem to be eating the plants at the moment, but there are lots of them,& they are bonking like crazy!!win

Sorry no image available

We looked at lots of books, asked Jeeves & Google but cant find it anywhere,Nerolium said it was a new pest from Spain!!win

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 15 years ago

The Co-op have panicked - there is no other beetle in this region with the colours you describe , unless its a ladybird hybrid ! The soldier beetle is often mistaken for a pest insect - have they actually damaged your hibiscus ? Or any other plant you may have ?stgeorge

Sorry no image available

thanks everyone for your help with the BEETLES! not the Soldier Beetle,stgeorge,we took one to Nerolium (the co-op)in Vallauris they told us it was a pest! so we zapped them with pesticide, the name was unpronouncable!win

Sorry no image available
Posted by David.Bell - 15 years ago

I will bring the dictionary when we come to see you.Regards.David Bell.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Runaway-182887 - 15 years ago

Sorry JV, perhaps it's John, Paul, George and Ringo I was thinking about then.

xx

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 15 years ago

Not sure about the age , but the Beetle sounds like one of the Cantharidae family or the common soldier beetle. Like the majority of beetles in this region , they are friendly and should be encouraged !! They feed on the aphis ( green, black or other ) which LOVES the Hibiscus ( and kills the buds before they open ) and other harmful insects . Some species  also like the nectar and the pollen . One of the species live in rotting wood where their main meal is termite , so if your wooden beams have soldier beetles , you may have a bigger problem than you thought !!stgeorge

Sorry no image available

No your  much OLDER than me!!win

Sorry no image available
Posted by Runaway-182887 - 15 years ago

Not sure about the insect but I'm guessing you're round about my ageJ

xx