DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Hibiscus problems

Posted by Pistache-198758 - Created: 10 years ago
0 0

I apologise if this has been asked before. My hisbiscus plants which are large and sturdy hardly ever flower. They always seem to have little white parasites on them, and even though I spray them daily there doesn't seem to be anything I can do....This is very sad, as the flowers are a beautiful peachy colour with a scarlet centre. Does any know a good product or solution ? Thanks.....

Sorry no image available

3 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 3)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Pistache-198758 - 10 years ago

Thank you for your advice

Sorry no image available
Posted by rosalinde - 10 years ago

well, I found 2 thriving and flowering hibiscus plants i n my garden when i came here and they thrive on their own; the soil is very sandy and tends to dry out rapidly but they don't need a lot of water. You see them all over the Mediterranean islands which are dry and rather arid. If they've been attacked by parasites go easy on the chemicals, in the long run they weaken the plant. Try the natural methods first.

Sorry no image available
Posted by tedemalet-208114 - 10 years ago

Your pretty plant has whitefly, which literally sucks the life out of them. You can treat the soil with worm castings, and I don't know the french term for this... and you must also fertilize the plant regularly. The soil and water here are very hard on plants, and hibiscus love the heat, but need water as well, as they're more tropical.