DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

How do I know I'm not buying a turkey?

Posted by cocteau-301884 - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by appletrees-321263 - 4 years ago

@ Charlotte - well, please  do share contact details with us for your carpenter as hand made wooded windows are the most expensive of all!

Sorry no image available
Posted by charlottenovitz-654670 - 4 years ago

Just a comment on changing windows.  I was surprised the other day to learn from a carpenter that a

custom made window was so cheap......even with double glazing.   I suppose it depends on the carpen-

ter.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kentish maid-243236 - 4 years ago

Quite agree with houses for rent, a year renting may save many years of heartache.

We too live in the mountains, tho not near Castellane & our house is heated by 2 woodburners, one of which provides cooking for all but the summer, wonderful & cheap. More especially as we have sufficient wood on our terrain to keep us going for a few years yet.

Sorry no image available
Posted by house for rent-318030 - 4 years ago

Castellane is in a beautiful area but best thing to do as you don't know the area is to rent for a year and see if you like it, also you're on the speck to visit. If you buy a house in the mountains make sure you have a wood burning fire as wood is cheaper than on the coast. We live in the mountains and it's a totally different way of life than on the coast. Good luck.

Forgot look up the site www.leboncoin.frand type in immobilier castellane you will find lots of houses for sale.

Sorry no image available
Posted by sunnywithachance - 4 years ago

Regarding the previous comment, I was chatting with someone looking to rent their house out who found it 50% cheaper to get double glazed windows from Romania and have them shipped/trucked here. Sorry I can't be more helpful with the name of a contractor/manfucaturer but might be something to think about.  Good luck in any case.

Sorry no image available

Also bare in mind if you have to replace widows with new double glazing it will cost more than in UK.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kentish maid-243236 - 4 years ago

Don't buy in the summer, everything looks too wonderful.  Make a visit in the winter, November onwards & especially at the end of Jan & beginning of Feb. Then you will see what the conditions are like, OK they are not the same each year, but overall, your sunny house may actually be in shade for 2 or 3 months, no sun.

Yes you can add more insulation etc, but the aspect of your house is most important.

Sorry no image available
Posted by laughingboy-409220 - 4 years ago

A bad energy rating is a warning to the buyer that it will be expensive to heat. That is why it's obligatory to have an energy diagnostic done, so that the buyer knows what he is buying, it's as simple as that really. Nobody's going to stop you buying a house simply because it isn't insulated up to modern standards, but the information is there in front of you so if you want lower heating bills, spend more and buy a house that is better insulated and has a better rating.

Sorry no image available
Posted by ibseur - 4 years ago

You will never really know what you are being sold. But do your own research about the seller and you will avoid bigger losses.

Sorry no image available

The simple answer is - you don't know - even if you have a survey by UK qualified surveyor  - they don'tt/can't  check everything. Vendors can and do hide defects.  Everywhere inland gets very cold in the winter -10C at night some times.