DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

how do you look after a marble floor

Posted by atmss-193192 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by rosetta-185721 - 12 years ago

I regularly clean my marble floor with a normal floor cleaner but the floor will just not come clean (as evidenced by our dirty feet when we walk on it!) and there are tide-marks on the floor left by the water. As I have a toddler I'm not keen on the idea of using acid. Is alchol brulee the best way to lift the dirt? How many parts to water should be used.

thanks!

Sorry no image available
Posted by dublinmike-182617 - 14 years ago

For a really instant spotless result use Hydrocloric acid from the supermarket (used in swimming pools). Called something like Acid Chlorohydric here.

dilute it with water 3 parts water to 1 part acid and have a hose available and a wet & dry hoover to suck it up. Spray it on with a garden atomiser thingy.

Leave it on the floor till it stops fizzing (no more than a minute) and rinse immediately, any longer and you're starting to eat the marble. Wear a fumes mask and ventilate really well.

Sounds complicated I know, but it isn't and boy is it a great result and saves a fortune on products that really don't work. No damage whatsoever if diluted and rinsed properly. Brings porous terracotta, concrete, tiles up like new too. Also cuts back tile grout, so it's great for a really tidy finish on tiling that's been there for years with excess grout everywhere.

Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by Humptydingo-180377 - 14 years ago

Glanzer make a liquid floor shine especially for Marble surfaces.  It is not a cleaner - but once the floor is clean then you just shake it over the floor and spread it across the floor with a damp floor cloth or mop. Goes a long way. Anyone who's used Glanzer knows just how good this product is. Can be bought in most supermarkets

Sorry no image available
Posted by MSM2000UK-181816 - 14 years ago

We use Alcohol Brulee. You can buy it in Carrefour and it is used all around Monaco...they use it on all of the marble floors. Start by brushing the floor, with a brush, to get rid of any dust, then pour some Alcohol Brulee into water.

Hope this helps

Max

Sorry no image available
Posted by Pumuckel - 14 years ago

This topic reminds me... does anyone know a local shop (Cannes, Antibes, Nice) where I can rent a marble polishing machine for a reasonable price? I have 40sqm to polish and re-seal. Thanks for all suggetions.

Pumuckel

Sorry no image available
Posted by John Broadbent - 14 years ago

I too asked this question today but on www.askjeeves.com and came up with all the info. Apparently you have to be fairly careful as it stains very easily and certain stains can cause etching, where the surface is removed.Wipe up stains immediatly.Keep as dust free as poss, do not wear high heels,wash with a ph balanced cleaner or water, not a detergent as eventually surface will dull. It can be polished professionally or with a paste and special buffers. Anyway read it up on ask Jeeves, I just put in Caring for Marble Floors.Hope this will help you.

Linda