DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

How to increase Telephone and WiFi reception?

Posted by SarahV - Created: 11 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by SarahV - 11 years ago

Thank you! Could you also send contact details to my personal e-mail address which is:info@sarahvermeersch.comThanks again for all your help with this. It's all a lot clearer.Cheers,Sarah

Sorry no image available
Posted by ChristopherL-188542 - 11 years ago

Yeah sure - FT will definitely not do this across properties.

I know some electricians and ex-FT guys who do that sort of cabling work. I'll dig out their details and e-mail them to you.

Sorry no image available

This sounds perfect... I need good telephone reception in both places, but am not bothered about the internet, which I will only need in the studio. You've definitely answered my questions here! Now, do you know who I should contact to get the line extension installed?? Obviously France Telecom have already said they won't do it, so I need to go through someone else. Any ideas?Thank you!

Sorry no image available

The reason why the house WiFi coverage would suffer if you move your Livebox to the studio is for exactly the same reason that the studio suffers at present. i.e the Livebox and its antenna would be 70m away from you when you are in the house.

The telephone extension line idea solves getting telephone coverage in both places and this works because you can put many telephone sets on the same line without any problem. However it doesn't solve your Internet connectivity from your Livebox because you can only have ONE ADSL MODEM on the line at one time. So, short of shuffling the Livebox backwards and forwards between house and studio, the telephone line extension would not help you with WiFi coverage - you'd need to use a high-gain antenna solution as previously described.

Sorry no image available

Thank you for your very clear reply, though I'm not very competent at this sort of thing...Indeed, the easiest solution seems to be stringing an aerial telephone extension to the studio. I don't think the neighbours would have any objections. I'm not sure I understand why the house reception would decrease though. Would I need a livebox or equivalent connected in the studio as well in that case? Lastly, do you happen to know of anybody who would be able to install any of these options for me? Are there companies or individuals who can do this?Thanks again for your help.

Sorry no image available

The solution for boosting the range is different for the telephone than it is for the WiFi;

Telephone

I presume you mean you are using téléphonie illimítée and you probably have a cordless phone base connected to the white outlet on the bottom of the Livebox? In that case you are using what is known as DECT and this has pretty good range already but 70m would be pushing your luck. The way to extend DECT range is with a DECT repeater which you osition approximately half way between teh base station and the studio. A repeater effectively doubles the range of DECT.

WiFi

The most usual solution for boosting WiFi range is to increase antenna gain by replacing the cheap antennae found on router boxes with more expensive proessional antennae. This is NOT an option with the Livebox because it does not make its antenna accessible. Therefore to get antenna boost from a Livebox installation, you'd need to invest in an additional WiFi Access Point and hook that to the Livebox with an ETHERNET cable. Then you'd need a decent directional antenna (say 9dB or better) to connect to the Access Point and point it towards the studio.

There are other solutions (such as re-transmission of ETHERNET over existing electrical wiring) but these configurations are pretty tricky - especially to a neighbour's outbuilding like you describe.

Alternatively you could string a 70m aerial telephone line extension to the neighbour's studio. That would be very effective and probably the least expensive but it would be pretty ugly and would need the neighbour's consent. Also it would mean that while the studio was well served, your house wouldn't be.

E-mail if you need any further help.