DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Internet router problem

Posted by Arcades32 - Created: 5 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Ras-214972 - 5 years ago

Ok, it worked before. It doesn't work now.

What has changed?

If you say nothing has changed, then the router has died. So buy another one. The price to buy another one will be less than the worth of the effort put to solve the problem, which may in anycase, conclude the same thing that the router is broken.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Arcades32 - 5 years ago

Hi.

We ditched the livebox some time ago on the advice of an IT guy  in favour of the netgear router. The livebox was very unreliable and would not connect to apple devices.

As i said in my first post, we have been using this set up for a couple of years without issue, just the last couple of visits have flagged up the problem. We would obviously like to get it sorted ASAP.

There was a guy who used to be on here that has solved a  problem before for us but I've lost his details. Think his name was Gordon but can't remember anything else except he was realy helpfull. Does anyone know who I mean?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Ras-214972 - 5 years ago

If you are using Orange, do you have a Livebox? If so, how are you connecting your Netgear router? Is it a cable? Why cannot you use the wifi build in to the Livebox?

If you are not using a Livebox, can you confirm if your Netgear router is the ADSL modem to your Orange telephone connection?

You say it happens when you leave your appartment. Does it happen immediately or do you have to leave for a certain length of time?

If you have two devices available, leave one of them in your appartment connected to the wifi, and go leave your appartment with the other one in the same way (length of time). When you return, confirm that you can no longer connect with your device, and check if the device you left behind is still OK or has stopped working itself. Swap over the two devices (if they are different types) and repeat the experiment.

There could be some issue related to power saving. Alot of devices try to minimise power when they are not in use (blame european regulations). When you leave your appartment, perhaps your router is going into a sleep mode because you are no longer there, and it fails to resume properly when you return.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rivieraandenglish - 5 years ago

I found this http://kbserver.netgear.com/pdf/wireless_router_setupmanual.pdf 

I think it tells you how to configure the wifi, including checking and changing the SSID. (This may be worth doing as it will update the routing table). You can change this back afterwards.

Without a proper computer you are not able to do a firmware update. 

Hope this helps

Sorry no image available

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. No, we don't have any other router, just the netgear. I've just googled how to update the firmwear... Looks pretty complex. Could you please expand on the 'settings' problem? Can't do anything too complex since only have an iPad to work on.

Thanks

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rivieraandenglish - 5 years ago

Hi,

Netgear routers are simple. Have you logon to the router yet and looked at the log file? Generally the ip address is 192.168.0.1. The user name and password if the default hasn't been changed is admin, and password.

When you say you can't see the router, I imagine that you mean you can't see the SSID. This can be a problem with the settings, but on some occasions you may have to update the routers firmware.

Can I presume you only have one router, the Netgear? You don't have a Orange router as-well?

Sorry no image available

Hi Phil,

By invisible I mean that our 'netgear' router doesn't appear on the list of networks available and only appears once we reboot the router by switching off at the socket.

Thank

Sorry no image available
Posted by emelia16-285362 - 5 years ago

Hi.....some questions for clarification...

1. What do you mean by 'invisible' when trying to connect ? Do you mean you can not 'see' the wireless connection from your laptop ?

2. "Other secured services" ???? What do you mean by this ?

3. "reboot the system" ? Is this the laptop or the router ?

--

Phil