DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Internet Speed!

Posted by arletty69 - Created: 6 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by arletty69 - 6 years ago

UPDATE:

Tested the speed today and glad to see I am back up to just below 2 Mbps! I have no idea what can be causing these fluctuations!

Sorry no image available

Thanks Christopher. Will have a look at Free.

As a matter of interest, does the below statement from degrouptest regarding my line look like things may improve? Is it Orange that have bridee my speed back to 1 Mbps or just varying conditions on the far from adequate line?

Votre ligne va être prochainement migrée vers le répartiteur 06150HTB. Cette migration aura des conséquences positives sur votre éligibilité. La date de migration est prévue pour le 30-05-2012. Nous vous invitons à revenir tester votre ligne une fois ce changement effectué.

Sorry no image available
Posted by ChristopherL-188542 - 6 years ago

Well that is a very long line with 40% on wire gauge 24 and the rest on gauge 36 - impressive level of attenuation. Max. theoretical speed in the area of 2 Mbps and that is pretty much the same whether it be on an ADL2 network or on ADSL2+
I don't have many customers in that area but did once help out some holidaymakers in La Turbie and some others in le col d'Eze who needed decent speeds and we got over 3 Mbps on a 3G+ solution instead of ADSL. If your volumes are not too high and speed is important to you then maybe a decent 3G+ service could work for you. Try converting to Free for their ADSL2+ (maybe won't be hugely better than you get now but it WILL be cheaper) and also you can get 3 gigs of 3G+ for €15.99 on their associated mobile plan plus unlimited mobile calls to boot - worth looking at.

Sorry no image available

Christopher, thanks! I have emailed my line number to you.

Tony, thanks for the link - very useful! There are several offers from other ISP's but all show a max of 1 Mbps and TV only possible by satellite! However, there is also some information from degrouptest which indicates that my line will be rerouted from the end of May - apparently with positive results - so fingers crossed!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tony2101 - 6 years ago

There is a quick and easy way to find out what download speed is available with your telephone line. Go to the following link (http://www.degrouptest.com/) and enter you telephone and address and you will be provided with a list of ISPs that serve your location. For each ISP, you will also get an estimate on the download speed, why type of triple play services are offered and whether options such as fibre is available in your location:
In some cases, it is better to change your ISP to another who might be able to offer you a better service.
Regards
Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by ChristopherL-188542 - 6 years ago

Send me an e-mail with the number of the line and I will get a quote from FT regarding the grade of the actual copper in the ground that will determine the maximum possible speed. After that - well it will be down to other factors including how your ISP decides to bridle the throughput.