DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Metal shutters for French doors

Posted by quiet apartment, near Monte Carlo - Created: 5 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by JerryW-193041 - 5 years ago

Hi again,

Sorry I've not been back with the pics but the holidays have been very busy at our house with guests and meals, as you can understand.I'll try next week to send them to you.

On the bubbles and peeling mentioned by True_North, I understand the problem. It may be simply corrosion due to salt air exposure. If you could ask "Romain" in my note above, I'm sure he would know if it is possible to have them stripped and recoated, or if replacement is more economical. The PVC shutters we bought are woodgrain finish but all white. I did not get alu because I don't want maintenence of any sort... on anything... The PVC requires only a wash-down and can't corrode. The wood-color/grain was beautiful but more than we had budgeted for. We are still very happy with our choice, as are our friends.

Happy New Year! JerryW

Sorry no image available
Posted by True_North - 5 years ago

Hi, we bought a house a few years ago which had some of the wooden shutters replaced with metal.    I have no idea how old they are, but the white coating (which bubbles, but doesn't appear to be paint?) is peeling off in spots, which looks horrible.  I can't imagine how to fix this so the surface is smooth and durable.  I know nil about the different metal shutters available- just be careful.  You wouldn't want what I have.  I'm actually thinking of replacing them with wood eventually...

Sorry no image available
Posted by quiet apartment, near Monte Carlo - 5 years ago

If I can please see photos of these shutters to have an idea of what they look like, I'd be grateful.

Sorry no image available
Posted by quiet apartment, near Monte Carlo - 5 years ago

Many thanks for your information. As it is Christmas, I am in the UK at the moment. How much did you pay for the two shutters for just one entrance, please?  That will give me a good idea, and did the PVC come in white, and you had to paint it?  Thanks in advance for this and I shall contact Romain in due course.

Sorry no image available
Posted by JerryW-193041 - 5 years ago

Hi there and Merry Christmas !

Just a few years ago we had all our doors, windows and shutters changed. The results were quite a pleasant surprise. It literally changed the living conditions of our home. The shutters we chose are PVC with metal frames inside and come pre-hung on metal frames of oven-baked painted aluminum (they also have all-alu types). We are thorough satisfied with our choice, which was made on the recommendation of a friend who had done the same. Since then we have passed the name onwards to another family (friends also). They also are delighted with the results obtained. Enough said ... You can contact Romain on :

0493599137 or his mobile 0616354936

JerryW