DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Mobile phones for dummies?

Posted by szozu - Created: 15 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 15 years ago

If you're near a FNAC, you can pick up a small catalogue of mobile phones that they sell, which towards the back has a chart called "Les Formules à Rechargement" where you can compare prices and period of time for emission and transmission as well as length of talk-time. It's confusing as hell but you can compare the three French providers.

I think there's also a comparison chart on-line at www.francemobiles.com

Lana

Sorry no image available
Posted by trajectory - 15 years ago

Hi,

If I buy a pre-paid SIM in France, do top up cards have an expiry date on them? How much would I pay for a SIM, where can I get one, and what (if any) documents / id will I need?

Thanks.

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 15 years ago

Hi Lana,

Internet price for Siemens C35 unlocked is 79€.  Prices for unlocking almost any phone are now at 15€.  The only issue is those prices require you to pay postage.  So add 10€ for a 1-way purchase by contre-remboursement and add €20 for a 2-way send-in/send-back for unlocking an existing phone.

I've used these folks before and can vouch that they are really reliable.

I don't think it would be a good idea for this site to publicize unlock codes for ex contract phones.  However, if a message with an unlock code were to find its way into your e-mail then I guess you'd be happy.

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 15 years ago

Thanks for your replies.

The available phone is a Motorola V2288 and seems a bit heavy to carry around. Where can I find instructions on the net for unlocking it? I've already searched a bit and haven't really come up with anything useful.

Another possibility is to buy a used and already unlocked Siemens C35 for 99 euros. Any feedback on that?

Lana

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 15 years ago

Yes,  however if it is single band, rather than the more modern dual band,  it won't work on Bouygues as they operate on 1900Mhz. It will operate on either of the other networks.  If it is less than about three years old it is almost certainly dual band.

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 15 years ago

Yep, any pre-paid SIM will work in your GSM phone once unlocked.  The going rate for unlocking is about 30€.  If you are a little bit tech savvy you can find the codes on the Internet.  What model is your husband's Motorola phone?