DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

No light

Posted by OneMission - Created: 5 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Lescypres-873147 - 5 years ago

Hi there, this was many house moves ago, plus mid divorce with ex having guardianship do photo albums. But we bought the kind of lighting with dual cables and a transformer, we had to chase the wire into the wall but as it was fitted diagonaly we coud hide it in the corner ,the light bulbs climb onto the cable an we made more of a chandelier effect dressing the bulbs using flame proof plastics and crystals. It was fun and original. Good luck. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by OneMission - 5 years ago

Thank you all so much for your replies - all very useful!

As you say, I can just imagine the agro with the neighbour, however, I like the idea of the "false" type one.  Lescyres, could you let me know who you used and if I can be really bold, could you send me a photo?

Any other advise/fixes greately appreciated

Sorry no image available
Posted by charlottenovitz-654670 - 5 years ago

you could also put in "sconces" (not sure that's what they're called (appliques?, in French).  It would make less mess.  I REMOVED  my ceiling outlets and have some of above and floor or table lamps.....very high

ceilings in a 300 year old house.   MUST BE DONE PROFESSIONALY.

bon travail,  cn

Sorry no image available
Posted by Ras-214972 - 5 years ago

Chasing cables into the walls and ceiling is possible. It is likely to take a couple of days and make a huge amount of mess, but it can be done. You'll need to replaster and redecorate after that. So, it is not a trivial undertaking and will cost several hundred euros to do.

Alternatives include running a surface cable, preferably in some trunking (as small as you need to hold the cabe), and painting over it. It won't be as nice, but if you are in an older style place with some rustic charm, it shouldn't be too bad and a lot easier.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Lescypres-873147 - 5 years ago

Don't go there. You either have to channel up the walls and across the ceiling, or box in the cabling or just loop wires across. Don't even consider appealing to you French neighbours upstairs, ain't going to happen. 

I too yearned for a central chandelier in my high ceilinged apartment but it was too too difficult to mount a traditional one, in the end we went for a high end, featherweight modern system with high tensile cabling. It worked.