DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Novice gardener

Posted by StephanieC-185633 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

Hi I am completely new to gardening and thought i was doing quite well untill I found tiny white "cotton wool" like insects on my plants I have tried a spray to kill them but it does'nt seem to have done the trick. Please help as i am afraid of loosing all my lovely plants. bye

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by tessa-179840 - 14 years ago

Thanks for the help with the leaf hoppers... I've got the upper hand now thanks to the savon de marseille spray mixture .... (although a note for other incompetants like me - a teaspoon of chopped soap is quite enough for a half litre spay bottle - don't chop up quarter of a 500gr bar!).

New question about strange spider webs: all the shrubs, hedges, ivy covered slopes etc around the neighbourhood are covered with thick, tough, sticky spider webs. I haven't see this in previous summers..... any ideas? And if I want to get rid of them? (they make everything look sad and neglected).....

tess

Sorry no image available

Thanks irishman, that's the one! Haven't tried playing with them although there is a fairly chummy one that popped in yesterday and hopped about my desk........ so maybe I'll cancel my weekend activities and stay in and play, rather than spray......tess

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 14 years ago

As always, a picture is worth a thousand words! The little blighters look like grains of rice.

Lana

Sorry no image available
Posted by StephanieC-185633 - 14 years ago

Hi Well I hate to say it, but it looks like it took a man to solve the quest of the jumping cotton wool. Lana you did exceptionally well with the remedies and all but the picture of the little blighters won hands down. I have sprayed with the citrus oil and they have not appeared back, yet!Mike It’s so good to know that there are other adults out there that get enjoyment from provoking insects Stephaniebye

Sorry no image available
Posted by irishman-180738 - 14 years ago

Hi Tessa,

I'd say that your plants probably have an infestation of plant hoppers - do you recognise the culprits from this picture: http://insects.tamu.edu/images/insects/common/images/a-txt/aimg90.html

They are actually quite funny because if you put your finger near them they'll walk round to the back of the stem in order to hide from you. (Hours of endless fun).

Anyway - to control them you can use a soap solution made up from "Savon Noir" which is a liquid soap (normally used for cleaning floors) that comes in a bottle. Having said this - the plant hoppers never seem to do any damage to my plants - just leave that white sticky fluff all over them. I had limited sucess with getting shot of them.

/irishman

Sorry no image available

Mildew's not what's got me under attack. These are tiny, snow white, very pretty, jumping bugs and great colonies of them gather in their white wool nests mostly on the stems, just below the flower heads....... it's as if the stems are all wrapped up in fresh white bandages...... and it's on all the plants: tomatoes, hibiscus, rose, weeds and it doesn't matter if they're in the sun or shade. It's not white fly, and a search for "white" anything else got me nowhere....... Nevermind, they'll be blitzed with soapy water this weekend and then we'll see... [evil laugh] he he he!

tess

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 14 years ago

I think the white stuff we've been seeing on plants is powdery mildew. With the extended dry season, the conditions are right for it. I've also noticed that the plants affected seem to be mostly in the shade.

Here's a good link, giving information about what to do about it and about what will happen if the plant goes untreated.

http://www.victorpest.com/articles/powderymildew.htm

As for my organic pest-control recipes, I have more. If anyone wants them, just e-mail me. 

Lana

Sorry no image available
Posted by StephanieC-185633 - 14 years ago

Sorry Carole, but i seem to have matched you in the garden with problems and flowers as sunflowers and marigolds are my crop too !bye

Sorry no image available
Posted by Carolebay-180697 - 14 years ago

Yes, and thanks from me too................

The little mites are all over the place - such a shame when so much time and effort has been put into the garden.

Anyone got any plants, cuttings or seeds to swap?

I've got a growing supply of Marigold seeds and I'm waiting for a monstrous sunflower to ripen. Any takers???

Carole 

Sorry no image available
Posted by leslie-179832 - 14 years ago

Lana, thanks for the recipes! some of them are almost good enough to eat!!! ( minus the soap of course)

Leslie