DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Outside Toilet?

Posted by WendyR-185242 - Created: 15 years ago
0 0

Riveting topic I know....

Fingers crossed, my boyfriend and I will soon be the proud new owners of a small (emphasis on small) cottage in beautiful France.  The house currently comprises one room with a 'charming' open-plan kitchen/toilet area.  The former owner liked his vin rouge quite a lot so maybe there were logistical reasons for placing the toilet directly next to the fridge.

We have a bit of land but no planning permission.  Would the restriction on planning also extend to putting in an outside toilet/shower room?  The cottage is really very small so it would make more sense for us to build a small outhouse to contain our washing facilities.  Would we be allowed to do this even though there is no planning permission on the land?

Many thanks

Wendy

Wendy

Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by WendyR-185242 - 15 years ago

I guess either way, the mairie should be my first port of call to see where we stand with this.  Maybe I could just smile sweetly, flutter my eyes and try and endear myself to the mayor!

Many thanks for your help.

Kind regards

Wendy

Sorry no image available
Posted by juniper-184191 - 15 years ago

Cabanons on agricultural land in this part of the land have very strict building regulations  (thats why they are so cheap) only agricultural people may build, I don't know all the laws check out at the marieju

Sorry no image available

Fantastic! Thank you Les, that's good news for us as it gives us a bit more scope with the house.  I'll look into that and let you know if I have any problems.

Kind regards

Wendy

Sorry no image available
Posted by lespalmiers - 15 years ago

Wendy,

Juniper may be ahead of me here on the cabanon theme (which may have particular restrictions) but as a rule you can carry out a small extension (under 20sq m) with a fairly simple "declaration de travaux" which your local Mairie should help you with. Any problems please e-mail me - I would be delighted to help.

Regards, Les

Sorry no image available

Hi Ju

Yes it is a cabanon on agricultural land

Wendy

Sorry no image available
Posted by juniper-184191 - 15 years ago

Is it a 'cottage' or a cabanon on agricultural land?ju