Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


PlexyGlass etc

Posted by richardr-181963 - Created: 15 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 15 years ago

Plexi or perspex is not advised for this application - the UV crazes it and turns it brittle after a couple of years. Glass panels are better and the Syndic are unlikely to refuse if the safety factor is mentioned.



Sorry no image available
Posted by annie lou - 15 years ago

Dear Richard,

Did you have any luck with your plexy glass for your balcony?

I was thinking exactly the same thing for our balancy in Nice. Would it be cheaper to bring out from the U.K.,

how did you fix the panels to concrete?

look fwd to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Sorry no image available
Posted by gerbil-194494 - 15 years ago

Richard - the flexing problem is possibly why most commercial balconies use toughened glass or fully-framed plastic of limited area. Possibly some investigations of commercial offerings might give you a better idea of what is feasible and design?

Sorry no image available
Posted by richardr-181963 - 15 years ago

Thanks for info. Gerbil - it's only supplementary as there's a v good/sound (new) balcony there already (vertical struts) but I was looking to supplement the height and provide deterrent/safety. It's a long balcony (nearly 15m perimeter) so comments on flexing in the wind are useful.

Brgds, Richard

Sorry no image available
Posted by pearson5 - 15 years ago

We have some for exactly the same reasons - it works well. Unfortunately ours is too thin and is noisy in the wind - make you get rigid stuff. Our supplier wasn't very good. Try Eurometal in Nice for a good job - but pricey I expect.

Sorry no image available
Posted by gerbil-194494 - 15 years ago

I belive there are various french standards balcony railing should conform to. I'm not sure where you can find out about them, but your insurance company might take an interest in conformity if there was an accident. You might also need to get planning permission - contact the mairie?