DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Power shower question

Posted by job-212223 - Created: 5 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by chb55 - 5 years ago

For the heater, you can't put electricity and water together, that is probably why you are told you cannot have one. but it is just a question of distance, as long as the heater is more than a certain distance from the shower ( or the other side of the wall) it is legal. So get one from Casto or wherever as already suggested and you can have the instant hot water you need, just paying full rate when it is on. This might end up costing more than you pay already though.

Sorry no image available
Posted by GAnthony - 5 years ago

Job, I think you should make it clear what kind of shower you mean.   A power shower, as I understand it, is a shower with an electric pump which provides a higher water pressure.  A shower with an 'instant or on-demand heater' is a different thing altogether.   If you have your hot water tanks heated on the cheap rate, you are getting hot water at the lowest (electricity) cost.   However, if they are not insulated very well, than that would indeed be a waste.   We have friends locally who have installed an on-demand water heater for their shower, because their shower is a long way from their cumulus, and of course it takes time to run hot.    There should be no problem in installing one if that is what you need.  However, it is best installed by a professional for good electrical safety.

Sorry no image available
Posted by job-212223 - 5 years ago

Thanks Fashion for your reply. I only have electricity and two massive water heaters in the garage which heat up during the cheap rate at night. I just thought a power shower which is electric and instant would be far more economical to run.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fashion1 - 5 years ago

i suppose you are referring to a instant hot water with electricity. you have been here long enough, would you want one of these electricians hooking it up for you? 

Now, you can go to casto, leroy or your fav diy shop and purchase one that runs off butane, propane or town gaz. but remember, just like your boiler, have it serviced once a year or your insurance will not cover you when your house blows up.

As rental contracts do not allow bottles of gaz, these types of systems are everywhere in france, especially in public housing using town gaz. Or in rvs, caravans or small boats using bottled gaz.

Sorry no image available
Posted by job-212223 - 5 years ago

Thanks for that info. How strange they are not permitted. Perhaps they are too practical !!!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by laughingboy-409220 - 5 years ago

I'm not a plumber but I remember seeing it posted on the forum by plumbers that it is not permitted to install a power shower in France.