Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


Renovation work permission

Posted by shopper-185272 - Created: 17 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

3 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 3)

Sorry no image available
Posted by shopper-185272 - 17 years ago

Hi Lea,

Thank you very much for you reply.

We certainly will complete a "declaration de travaux" and put the notice outside.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

We don’t increase the number of sq metres as we don’t have any COS for that. By now it seems that the only work noticeable from outside would be to change window frames and to remove rubbish of course. Doors, openings, walls are only internally. Windows would be the same size and style only with double glass (it was very freezing this winter and the electricity bill …!) .. For the heating it seems that we are closer to the cheaper option of Night storage heaters. We had thought about the Gas central heating. We used it in the house that we rented before. But to connect and install the gas is not very easy and this now sounds a bit expensive with all the work that we carry inside the house. For our 90 sq metres habitable POMPE A CHALEUR would be a good solution. We will do all main work with a fully registered builder.

 Regarding the "declaration de travaux". I assume that it's supposed to be written in French, but any special recommendation such as what should be mentioned and what not, how much details and so on, in order to have it approved. We live in Valbonne. Anyone had an experience with that and especially in Valbonne?

 Thank you very much Lea for you reply and Sheila for your Electricity posting last year.







Sorry no image available
Posted by Mitra-185888 - 17 years ago

Hi, I am moving to Paris with my family and we just found a great apartement in the 16th. However There is no Kitchen and we need to install the kitchen. How hard is it to install a Kitchen? What do you need? How long does it take? I was planning to look at Ikea kitchens but was not sure of the quality. Any advice is much appreciated.Mitra

Sorry no image available
Posted by lespalmiers - 17 years ago


Generally speaking, changes to the inside of the property can be done without any formal planning consent, certainly the French would not normally bother, although if you increase the sq metres habitable then you should officially notify the Tresor Public so they can up your taxes (!)

Depending on your location, changing windows/doors may need permission/verification as certain areas insist on only wood and no plastic (Biot, for example)

If you are carrying out the work yourselves then I would personally just do it, if you were thinking of paying someone to do it, ensure they are fully registered as it is the houseowner who is fined in France if "on the black" workers are detected. Also, if paying someone to do it, maybe complete a "declaration de travaux" and put the notice outside, this stops the neighbours/gendarmes/council speculating about what is being done and whether it is legal.

If you need more help please ask away . . . . . . 


Regards, Les