Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


Replace electric hob with ceramic hob

Posted by pmar - Created: 5 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

3 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 3)

Sorry no image available
Posted by pmar - 5 years ago

Hi, Thanks to both of you for your replies.


Have now realised that I just want to replace my old rusty hob with something that can't rust! and need someone to do it!

ny suggestions in JLP area.


Sorry no image available
Posted by Pinman - 5 years ago

Ceramic is now harder to find because of them more modern halogen or induction hobs. Note the warning about pans for induction hobs as we found that we had to replace all of ours !


An electric hob made from ceramic glass with a heating element underneath. Remember always to lift pans and not slide them, otherwise the ceramic surface may be damaged.


The points applying to ceramic hobs also apply to halogen. The difference is that the heat comes from halogen lamps under the glass which efficiently transmit heat and light upwards. Use pans with thick bases, as they can be subjected to short bursts of intense heat with this type of hob. Avoid very shiny bases as they can reflect the light, causing the lamps to switch off.


Induction hobs are made from smooth, ceramic glass, the heat coming from a magnetic induction coil which heats the cookware but not the cooking surface. The heat from the cookware is transferred to the food.

Pans suitable for this type of hob must be made from magnetisable metal such as cast iron or steel. Pure aluminium or copper pans will not work with this type of hob unless the base is bonded with a magnetic metal.

Sorry no image available
Posted by belamica-188434 - 5 years ago



We chased all over to find a replacement for a rental apt., finally got one at LaPeyre, but check also Leroy Merlin, Castorama, Darty & Ubaldi.  They seem to be a bit rare nowadays, don't know why.  No big deal to install, just fit it into the old spot/slot and attach the plug.  They are pretty well all more or less the same size, check the websites to find what you want.  Good luck!