DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Rotten Tomatoes

Posted by Ba&Ke - Created: 6 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Ba&Ke - 5 years ago

I have been studying this closely and it turns out that I only have this problem with one of the varieties of tomatoes I planted. I gave some to my neighbour at the time and she's having the same problem with that one variety! Conclusion: the soil must be wrong for those tomatoes but fine for the others. At least I have some unblemished varieties! Thanks for all your input.

Sorry no image available
Posted by june rose 66 - 5 years ago

I've had it happen but just because one or two tomatoes are affected doesn't mean the whole crop will be ruined. If it's a question of watering or feed you can still rectify the problem.

Sorry no image available
Posted by allegra-216667 - 5 years ago

We have the same problem and have not had it before -its a shame maybe too much rain earlier on?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kentish maid-243236 - 6 years ago

Hi again
I hope that your toms are still in the ground? Just keep watering the roots every day, if you can't do it in the evening, then early morning. You can use the rotten fruit, there's no bacteria that will harm you, either let them ripen, if the rot is not too bad, or pick them green if it's getting too much. You just cut out the black bits & use what's left. That's the joy of growing your own stuff :) When you get the watering bit right you will find that there will be less rotten toms on the plants.
Best of luck

Sorry no image available
Posted by Ba&Ke - 6 years ago

Thanks for all the tips. I'm definitely a beginner at this, but really enjoying learning. I did know about not watering the plants - I guess there's a lot of other things to know though!

Sorry no image available
Posted by GreenLeaf-314739 - 6 years ago

Sounds like you should water the ground and not the plants. Never ever should even a drop of water touch the leaves of the plant.Also remember that 1 -Toms hate tobacco so wash your hands b4 touching if you smoke2 - your plant should only have 1 headA good source online for info is organic gardening magazineHappy gardening

Sorry no image available
Posted by Ba&Ke - 6 years ago

Yes!! It's bottom end rot! I googled it and the pictures are exactly the same as mine. Thank you so much for this, at least I now know, not that I'm entirely sure what to do about it yet!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kentish maid-243236 - 6 years ago

I f the fruits are black at the bottom, it's bottom end rot. It's caused by irregular watering, or giving water in irregular amounts. You need to give enough to really wet around the roots every day, but don't water the leaves. Also give tomato feed once the plants are in flower until they finish fruiting.

Sorry no image available
Posted by ouch that hurt !-230853 - 6 years ago

Do you mean black on the bottom ? if so, too much or not enough water (I know, not very helpful) & not enough calciumhave you tried googling it,

Sorry no image available
Posted by teen-214765 - 6 years ago

Are there brown splodges on the leaves? If so it could be blight, although conditions aren't really "blighty"