DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Rubber seal for a refrigerator

Posted by MikeP-180526 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 14 years ago

Selection Menager on the left going up Rue Cassini ,just off the Port of Nice , are the shop front for a huge setup at the back of Nice - they sell just about every make of domestic appliance ever made and will get the spares into the bargain. You will need make and model and serial No.s. Complete Euro service and they supply the yacht trade as well . There is another place up Rue Borigoline ( spelling ) , can't remember the name offhand , but you may even be able to buy it off the shelf - I have to get something for my kitchen there , so will e-mail the address when I go next week. stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

Thanks Mike,  that's certainly the best offer I've had locally so far.  I an well take up on that.

Since I posted this last night though,  I emailed four companies in the UK, and four in France,  with the request.

All four of the companies in the UK replied by lunchtime, one to say they couldn't help,  and the others to ask for exact details of the the equipment.

As for the replies from the French companies,  well,  not one has even had the decency to reply.  And in case anyone asks, yes my emails to them were in French and yes my French is adequate.  Just once again proves my point that French customer service isn't.

Sorry no image available
Posted by dublinmike-182617 - 14 years ago

Hi Mike,

I mentioned your problem to the guy who runs the second-hand fridge place in Antibes (near the biot turn-off between V Loubet and Antibe on RN7).

Says if you bring in the old seal, he'll make you a new one, apparently from a handy roll he's got. He has a repair shop out back so I guess he knows his stuff.

Don't know the guy or the place at all, just popped in for a look, so can't offer any more info.

regards,

Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

Thanks, to both of you.

David ..... I've long given up phoning any customer 'service' department for anything in France, even though I speak fluent French.  I prefer to deal with people in the UK who even if not more knowledgeable,  are usually more willing to help.  I must admit to that it is easier to explain technical things in English than in French and I usually find that French people tend to be impatient when they know you are not a native speaker and can't explain things the way a native would.

I found three places in the UK, on the internet, who may be able to supply the stuff, and interestingly,  it is big business in Australia.  Whatever Jose Bove may think about globalisation,  the internet does enable one to source and order this type of thing from anywhere in the world.

Sorry no image available
Posted by davidl-181802 - 14 years ago

You can always phone up the manufacturers of the fridge and ask for their spare parts dept to order it. Usually works. You should just need the model number (and good french I would have thought :) )

If not, do what my father in law just done. Buy some window seal draught proofing strip, and stick it over the top of the rubber seal. Then, using a bungee strap you seal the door (dont ask). It does work though looks like a cowboy job.

Sorry no image available
Posted by carolie-182474 - 14 years ago

Hi Mike, I know it's a long shot but maybe a second hand appliance shop with broken fridges out the back or as a last resort the dump. Maybe there is a place in nice where they dump old fridges, anyone know to help mike out. I know what you mean, who wants to buy a neeew fridge for the sake of a bit of rubber.

Regards

Carol