DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Satelite dish

Posted by Sevendaver1 - Created: 5 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by ChB-184121 - 5 years ago

I'd suggest you first decide which satellite you want to watch, then see what size dish you will need. Your neighbour is not on Astra 2, but one of the others. As already stated, astra 2 at 28 degrees will realistically require 80 cm as a minimum, but if you want Astra 1, Hotbird, Eutelsat or Sirius, then much smaller dishes will work fine. do a bit of research and see what channels each satellite will give you and then work it backwards. To select the dish size first is putting the cart in front of the horse, so to speak!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Sevendaver1 - 5 years ago

My neighbour says that he gets the channnels that he needs from The Netherlands. I want UK channels or US. I am Canadian but if you've seen 1 hockey game you've seen em all, not. Go Leafs Go. I am getting tired of living in France and not seeing the Tour de France. I only watch TV once per year, The Tour de Fr. That is all the I want 3 weeks of bike racing and I am happy. My spouse wants culture, I am a slug.

Sorry no image available
Posted by mcgreen - 5 years ago

In my experience, and I have installed a few dishes. The square plastic box units will not get you adequate reception of UK channels, fine for Astra1 but not 2. The larger of the two grey Sky minidishs, for marginal areas in the UK, will give you reception until there is a cloud in the sky, the same for the smaller 60cm dishes. Realistically you need a 80/85 cm dish and don't go for the see through ones as they are not as good as all metal ones.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Grumpy-226054 - 5 years ago

Where are you?
Years ago, I got reasonable UK reception in Var via a small UK dish but only during good weather; these days, I have an 80 cm dish. Do you mean your neighbour is getting UK reception via a small rectangular dish?
G