DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Sound proofing walls

Posted by AnneLM - Created: 5 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

3 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 3)

Sorry no image available
Posted by A Breath of Fresh Air - 5 years ago

It's all about seperation.  You need a wall to 'float' inside the existing party wall, not connected in any rigid way to the existing wall, but only via rubber or similar mounts.  The inside of the floating should be made as heavy as possible with sound deadening material, such as rubber sheeting, something with mass but no resonance.

But if the apartment has been badly divided, the floor will be continuous between the apartments and will still transmit sound through, reducing the effectiveness of the insulating wall.

Sound studios use floating walls, floating walls and floating ceilings.  However, sucessful as this would be, it'll be cheaper to move....  Maybe speak to your Mairie for a building survey to establish whether the conversion work into apartments was done to an acceptable standard, and if not, cite this as a contract-breaker.

Louisa

Sorry no image available
Posted by AnneLM - 5 years ago

Thanks very much for the advice. Our issue is very thin walls between us and our nextdoor neighbour, and I assume these walls were built when the apartments were cut in half.

Any further advice on action we might be able to take about the poorness of the dividing walls would be appreciated.

regards

Anne

Sorry no image available
Posted by VFranche1 - 5 years ago

This is a very complicated area. I spent more than two years battling a UK builder about sound proofing (which I eventually won) so got to know quite a bit about it.

I'm a layman, but in simple terms there is an acoustic palsterboard that you can use to line your walls to dampen sound. However, the walls may only be conducting the sound which may be emanating from soundproofing weaknesses in the floor or ceiling or ducts. You could end up relining the walls only for the sound to move the the next weakest point. I used the services of an accoustic engineer to propose the best solution. It's not cheap, but with soundproofing you could end up spending a lot of money for no discernable effect if you don't know what you are doing.

Noisy neighbors are a nightmare as I know only too well.

PS> I don't know what the French rules are, but in the UK builders have to adhere to minimum soundproofing standards which I managed to prove they hadn't, so all of my work was done for free.