Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


Subsidence - help!

Posted by appletrees-321263 - Created: 5 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by appletrees-321263 - 5 years ago

Thanks so much Fish24.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fish24 - 5 years ago

LR = Lettre Recommendé or simple recommended letter (sorry, not AR) but no proof of reception or receipt

LRAR = Lettre Recommandé avec Accusé de Réception (you pay a bit more but normally you get signed proof back that it has been received.

Sorry no image available
Posted by appletrees-321263 - 5 years ago

Thanks Fish24 and 1850 for the useful information.

 1850 - can you say what the "AR" you refer to means - can think what it is at the moment?!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fish24 - 5 years ago

Possible action:-

First ask at the Mairie if the commune has placed a declaration with the Department/Region and are other persons in the same situation?

Secondly, get a reputable local mason in for his advice and opinion.

Go back to the Mairie and request that your house may have a problem of subsidence
 and ask for it to be declared. Take photos.

Send a AR to your insurance company and wait until the government officially declare your  zone compensable then fill in all the required forms, etc. according to the regulations so that the insurance company can take things further.

Sorry no image available
Posted by 1850stjeannet - 5 years ago

Firstly don't panic, its easy to over-react - small cracks in buildings are common here, and often are not serious in nature. The following might help you ascertain if you have a problem before you go scuttling off to find a surveyor, be that your insurers or another. Bear in mind seasonal settlement/movement in buildings is common particularly as the humidity changes. Hope the following helps:- 

The RICS (Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors) website states:

 Generally it can be considered that hairline cracks which appear on an annual basis are not structurally significant, but cracks which increase in width gradually over a period of time should be investigated. When they become between 16-25mm, they are classified as severe under the BRE Digest 251 (classification of visible damage to walls). 

Structural movement occurs all the time and is usually so small in scale that it passes unnoticed. However, when this movement and distortion threatens the future safety of the building – action will probably need to be taken sooner rather than later.