DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Sudden major attack on Box Plants in our garden.

Posted by eroberts - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by ouch that hurt !-230853 - 4 years ago

have you seen any small brown papillons ? because there are papillon de geranium which make small holes, & layi their eggs in the stems, this then kills the stem

you'll need to ask in garden centre spray specific treatment (every 15 days)

Sorry no image available
Posted by eroberts - 4 years ago

Many thanks for the replies, especially the second which sounds very similar to our problem. We'll have a go at spraying and hope for the best!

Sorry no image available
Posted by IJ - 4 years ago

Yes I have a similar problem, noticed it for the first time a few weeks ago my research has narrowed it down to either "box spider mite" or "box tree caterpillar" or both probably. I have certainly found the caterpillars on the leaves. Seems to attack the older leaves, there are lots of new leaves coming through so hopefully the plants will survive. I bought a general insecticide from Carrefour called Polysect which I think is working. It does say on the bottle for strong infestations, which I believe I have, another treatment will be necessary so I will treat them again shortly. You can see the skeletal remains of the leaves and a bit of a web as well as the green "eggs" you speak of.

Sorry no image available
Posted by eroberts - 4 years ago

It isn't just the tips of leaves. From the base of the plants affected (and there are quite a few)  there is a general drying out and on examination the leaves are pale brown, and riddled with holes. There are minute (1mm) green balls of eggs or execreta , and minute brown ones too - The plants appear to be dying from the base upwards. These signs have become evident very suddenly over the last few days.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kentish maid-243236 - 4 years ago

Is it all of the leaves or just the ones on the tips of the shoots?

If it is the tips, then it may be a moth + it's caterillars which eat the fresh leaves.  Hoefully there will be some shoots left that will regenerate in the next few weeks, we have the same problem with some of our olive trees.

This my or may not be helpful!!