DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

swimming pool regs

Posted by papillon11-367193 - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by alsyfra-307908 - 4 years ago

Hi,

The regulations state that the barrier must be a minimum of 1.22m not 1.20m.This is the law- not a recommendation.  Maybe you can add something to the wall to make it meet the regulations?

Is your lockable gate "self closing" this means that the door swings shut (this includes locking) everytime when you walk through it and is the lock childproof (Does it conform to ISO 9001, This is another legal requirement)? If not then I'm afraid to say that you are not covered.

If the above is too expensive to change,you can install a pool alarm?

Regards

Sorry no image available
Posted by papillon11-367193 - 4 years ago

thanks for your reply, we have got a solid concrete wall  with a locking gate surrounding our pool 1.20 high so it seems we are covered. Just a thought , we have several friends here that border the river very deep in places, these houses are rented out to families with no security at all, where is the sense in that ,I ask myself? thanks again Lynne 

Sorry no image available
Posted by alsyfra-307908 - 4 years ago

Hi,

The law states that a barrier of of least 1.22m is required on each side of the barrier. A childproof lock thats conforms to ISO 9001 and the door must be self closing.

Or an Alarm that meets the Normes

Or a cover that meets the Normes

A professional is not the only one certified to fit, anyone can install providing what is installed meets the regulations.

Regards

Sorry no image available

thanks very much for your swift reply, I thought I had read it right , but just to be sure thanks!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rivera-Mode - 4 years ago

Yes, one of the four safety measure options are legal considering that they meet the requirements of nf p90-306. An example would be a pool alarm bought for 1/2 the price in Italy or the US but isn't on the list of certified alarms for use in France.

As your insurance will be paying out any claims due to "not meeting the requirements of law nf p90-306", I would suggest if you have any questions, ask them.

Sorry no image available
Posted by dachs - 4 years ago

it is as said before, one of the four safety measures are legal - though there has been no reduction in child deaths since the safety measures were introduced - it's thought the reason is that less vigilance and supervision is exercised because people think "it's ok because there's an alarm/gate etc".

Sorry no image available

Here is a link that describes the law - nf p90-306

http://www.informations-securite-piscines.fr/legislation/norme_NF/barriere-piscine-norme-NF-P90-306.html

Seems you could be 2cm short (depending on the land around) and make sure that the materials your wall is constructed from meet the requirements. Check also the requirements on the locking/unlocking or opening/closing ability of your gate (needs 2 different actions to open).

1 thing not to code could cost a life and/or lots of money.

As always, call a professional or maybe even your insurance company to get this certified.

Sorry no image available

Thanks for the info! lynne

Sorry no image available

Thanks for the link, according to this I only need one of the four mentioned safety measures, which I already have , thank you! Lynne

Sorry no image available

There is no mention of height requirement on that link. 

The law is not only for the protection of your family, but everybody else, ie. house guests, neighbours, etc...

Suggest looking in the yellow pages and contacting a pro. as they are the only people who can legally install and/or certify this requirement.