DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Tiles/electrical goods/DIY in Italy

Posted by Paul_A-184148 - Created: 15 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Latte - 15 years ago

Hi everybody interested in tiles and house building materials.

A cost-effective alternative for purchasing tiles in Italy is asking the shops if they have what's called here " stock", meaning by that small lots of leftover tiles. Usually the covered surface you can do with that is limited, but prices are real value for money. This also applies to top quality items, where prices range accordingly, but you can really make good deals.

For instance, we purchased Valentino designed tiles, formerly ranking 85 Euro/ square meter, for 35 Euro, and the concerned lot covered approx. 70 square meters.

Cassini outlined very well the situation as to the rest. What I can add is that if you are looking for kitchen furniture & equipment, the best buy is inland Ventimiglia, approx. 45 miles, in a town called Cuneo.

If your decorating approach is country-chic, you will find there solid wood cabinets, also designed and customized to your every need and desire, for reasonable prices. They deliver anywhere in Cote-D'Azur, and their installing personnel is both efficient and extremely skilled.

Another interesting source is an antique store in Menton where we also purchased lots of delightful, rare items for reasonable prices.

We had to decorate all rooms of our Maison D'Hotes ( Bed & Breakfast), so you can imagine the amount of job, search, labour ( and money!) we had.

If you need forther information, drop us a line, we will be glad to help

Pier Carlo Griotti

Romantic Casa Lorenzina B&B

Sorry no image available
Posted by Cassini-187302 - 15 years ago

If glamourous and designer furniture is for you, I recommendend Fogliarini Arredimenti on the outskirts of Perinaldo. Signed from the left turn in Vallecrosia at the traffic lights. Traditional Sale time is February where display items are often discounted. There is some English spoken here. It is worth remembering that italian assistants like to assist and are exceptionally helpful and knowledgable. They usually expect you to know the kind of thing you are interested in and enjoy talking to you about it. Part of the buying excperience appears to be personal service. They very often anticipate what you need remarkably well. It is worth enjoying the experience. We have found a marked difference to attitudes in France. Just don't expect most things to be cheap or hypermarket style, France does that better. Italian things are often good quality and reasonably priced. Very few places accept credit cards or cheques (unless they know you) cash is usually expected. Incidentally Rossi is an interesting builder's merchants for building materials, solid fuel stoves,bathrooms and tiles. It is further into Vallecrosia on the right hand side approaching from Ventimiglia.

Sorry no image available
Posted by marcandjen-180991 - 15 years ago

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the summary of the scouting mission! We'll probably drive over sometime in the coming weeks to price things out. It sounds like it would be worth the time and effort.

Thanks also to Cassini for the ideas and locations. We'll check them out!

Will post a summary here when we have scoped it out.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Cassini-187302 - 15 years ago

Try Centro Esse for kitchen and domestic goods with Trony upstairs. Moro on the edge of Bordighera has an excellent tile shop it is on a side street opposite the sports centre and swimming pool. They also have a bathroom/plumbers further along the Aurelia. Your could try Borea for an excellent selection of bathroom fittings and tiles. There is a showroom on the side of Conad in Vallecrosia - trade counter downstairs, showroom upstairs and much more to order if you have an appointment to discuss your ideas. Alessandro speaks a great deal of English and french. They have a very glamorous showroom in San Remo with many delicious bathroom sets and anything you might ever want. I think bathroom fittings seem to be very reasonable in italy.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Paul_A-184148 - 15 years ago

Oh yes, the tiles were a real disappointment.  We went to Salerne last week, after you've seen the tiles there you wan't want to buy the factory made ones!

Sorry no image available

Well, I went to Camporosso, it wasn't brilliant, but found a pretty good furniture store (Expo) a lot of the stuff wasn't to my taste, but the quality/price ratio seemed to be pretty good.  I found an electrical store not far away which wasn't bad.  For me the highlight of the day was the supermarket - I bought all the christmas booze there at really good prices.  Also worth looking at is all the bathroom shops on the road between Vintimiglia and Borgidhera (please excuse my spelling).  Really, really nice basins, baths, showers etc.  The prices are the equivalent of what you find in France, but the style is really nice if you like classic, simple lines.

Sorry no image available

Marcandjen - I've heard there's a place called Camporosso that's good for kitchen stuff - I'm going to have a loot tomorrow, I'll let you know what I find.....or don't....

Sorry no image available
Posted by marcandjen-180991 - 15 years ago

Hey, me too! I'm looking for the same: tiles, sofa/couch, chairs, windows. Might as well say "skis" too. If anyone has any advice, please let us know!