DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Wifi Security

Posted by morgan38 - Created: 7 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

2 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 2)

Sorry no image available
Posted by morgan38 - 7 years ago

Thanks for your reply.

I was looking at www.hotspotsystem.com and wondered if anyone had used it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by ChristopherL-188542 - 7 years ago

You are referring to the French legislation around décret 2010-1366 of November 2010
This covers definition of legal downloading (and by inference illegal) and the rights and responsibilities of all concerned including legal redress and also the graduated response of illegal transgression. In short it says that if you are the registered "ïnternaute" - i.e. the registered subscription owner and you allow a 3rd party to perform an illegal act then you are (a) supposed to identify the 3rd party by use of a security system or (b) be held directly responsible as if you committed the act yourself.
There are no software-only solutions for implementing the security system. It needs a front-end router/switch/web server based system linked to a register of users. Different solutions are becoming available but they tend to be focused more on commercial hotspot operators rather than households. I've seen a couple lately for larger "immeuble" style installations where several apartment owners wanted to save costs on a shared connection.