DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

sign the petition for obligatory sterilisation of domestic cats

Posted by nag champa - Created: 5 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Cathouse-290059 - 5 years ago

I think we’ve gone a little off track here as to the validity of signing this blanket law cat sterilization petition.  There are many reasons why we should not do so.

To Angie83 I would say I don’t know of anyone who can’t afford to ID their own animals one way or another.   As for those of us who try to assist the many strays that come our way there are NO animal organisations in our area of the Var.  How lovely it would be to simply hand over every cat or dog problem to someone else.

The one refuge we had in this region closed when the English owner died in 1999.  The mayors then refused to allow any further dog refuge in our entire region. 

The one committee that now struggles on can only raise funds for sterilization of animals and that’s it, excepting the cost of the occasional dire emergency.  No animal organization otherwise covers our area and of the 70 or so stray,  often injured animals, that have crossed our courtyard over the years, we have had to cover most of the costs ourselves, we are certainly not ID’ing animals that are not our own. 

This is not Haslemere, the back-up for animal welfare does not exist here.  Parts of the Var are firmly medieval when it comes to animal care, cats are regularly shot by hunters for example and few give a damn.

It is up to each community to form their own rescue / catch / treat and sterilize groups for cats and dogs.  It is not possible to home most adult cats here so it’s important to organize a cat feeding system in the villages and to assist those who do feed them with catching and operating on these puddies.  Some communities manage this so well.

I do agree with Beautifulday.  We don’t need more legislation, we need more intelligence. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by No longer Online - 5 years ago

What I meant is that if the law says you must have your animal identified and that you can't afford to do so, then don't take an animal.

The cost of identification is very little compared to all the treatments a cat or a dog will go through all his life.

I would advise you to get closer to an association for your rescued ones. You wouldn't have to advance the cost of all this. It is up to the adoptants to pay the money back for Id and vaccines, and also you would have a garantie that they have the cats spayed once they reach the right age, through the help of a contract between you both (the association and the adoptant).

Regarding stray cats, some vets make a little mark on one ear so that we know they have been operated. Those cats are not meant to be re-homed. They stay in a place where they know they are fed by the volonteers.

Other than that I really have deep sympathy for those who releave animal sufferings as you do.

Sorry no image available
Posted by molly57 - 5 years ago

Didn't understand your reply to my post Angie 83.  I was talking about the people who take in strays in order to rehome them - and as they can't be advertised without a microchip, it prevents people from being able to  help the foster and rehomingcycle.  I've found litters of feral kittens, got them used to humans and rehomed them many times in the past, the same with adults, I couldn't afford to microchip all these now and therefore they have to stay feral and breed over again.  Those who adopt cats should be able to afford to microchip (why would they not worry about losing their pet); and for sterilisation.

Having said that, the reality is that those who want to chuck out their cat, even though microchipped, will do so anyway.  I've checked loads of microchipped cats whose owners can't be found. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by No longer Online - 5 years ago

Personaly, working for an association for the welfare of animals, I don't agree with microshipping cats(have you tried to catch a stray cat ?) . I much prefer tatoos. My vet stil makes them. It's allright for a cat that won't travel abroad.

As for neuturing, let's take the right age into acount, but otherwise 100% ok with the belgiam law . The associations can not continue to take in charge(food and treatments) a wider population of cats every year !!!

And finally, to reply to Molly57, people who can't pay for microship should not adopt a cat or dog. What we see all the time is people neglecting the welfare of their pet if they can't afford the minimum need. Identification can save the life of a pet. Some animal pounds only have a 10 days delay before they euthanize the uniditified ones (if not claimed).

Sorry no image available
Posted by molly57 - 5 years ago

mixed feelings about these two issues of microchipping and neutering ........ totally do not think that microchipping is going to help with the growing stray/feral population - with the hindsight of name tags, tattoo'd ear, microchip - those who abandon their animals will disappear and not be found.  The identification of animals only helps those owners who DO actually want to have reassurance that if their pet gets lost then they can be traced.

Meanwhile, microchipping makes it so difficult for people who are trying to help strays and rehome abandoned animals;  if I find an abandoned animal and am trying to find a home - I can't publicise anywhere, and as said before, it'd make it really difficult for me to take in a stray because I have to pay every time to microchip, and in addition there'll be more procreating animals put on the streets because those people who can't pay for microchip will certainly not have paid for neutering..........;

The issue of age of neutering I think has moved on so much over the last 20 years or so; from opinion that a female should have a season before neutering, to they should be 6 months, to early neutering is a safer option because of it being an easier process with less worry of complication - not least that cats can get preggers from 4 months. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by beautifulday - 5 years ago

In response to cathouse:  Thank you for writing that!  I fully agree that, however well-intentioned the thoughts behind legislation, the ensuing reality can be oppressive and harmful.

I've personally rescued many cats (and a lovely dog) in egypt, so I'm very aware of this issue.

And yes, sterilising them at too young an age can harm them.

While I agree that it helps to have your pet micro-chipped, I personally won't adopt a dog in this country because of this law.  It's a shame because I'd really like to adopt a dog, and moreover, I prefer a dog with special needs or older because they rarely get adopted.  

Mandatory microchipping of pets is the first step to microchipping people and it feels wrong to me.  

We don't need more legislation, we need more intelligence.  

Sorry no image available
Posted by Cathouse-290059 - 5 years ago

Having helped many of the strays in our villages I'd normally leap to sign a well-intentioned petition like this.  I'm afraid I'm not prepared to sign a petition on sterilising cats that fails to quantify the minimum age at which a cat should be sterilised which is firmly six months.  Operating much earlier can do untold damage to the development of the cat.

I'm aware that kittens are sometimes sterilised at only a few weeks old and this is a major issue for their well being.  Females almost never come on call, on heat, before 6 months of age and often it's more likely at 8, sometimes 9 months of age. So opping at 6 months is ideal. 

Sometimes these well intentioned laws can backfire. One example is that in France we can't now advertise a cat looking for a home unless it is microchipped, on radio or on Angloinfo.com for example. This has stopped us from homing many cats and kittens since we pay for the FIV/FeLV tests, the med check and any treatment required at min. costs, although thankfully our local organisation pays for the op., but we cannot then pay for chipping them all.  To be honest we now rescue far less cats than we used to because of this law.

Please don't operate on a cat before it's six months old (and for a new owner, it's a good time to microchip them at this stage, while under an aneasthetic. Microchipping cats without an anaesthetic is quite painful.)  I'll think twice before signing this petition.