DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Smoking, driving, and bush fires

Posted by MikeP-180526 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by angel-187474 - 14 years ago

Right!  ... I take it that no response probably means that my better half was telling me the truth!  

Hmmm .... so it's going to be a battle then!  Not only does the concept not exist in this language ... but also ... "sensibilisation" is reeaaallly difficult to pronounce!

Sorry no image available

I cannot find either a noun or verb equivalents of 'litterbug', 'litterer' or 'to litter'  in French.    My partner says they don't exist in this language (except for long phrases such as 'une personne qui jette des déchets par terre'   .... phew ... what a mouthful!

I can't believe this is true.  Can anyone help me out here?

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

Yes,  I took photographs of the 'Don't be a Tosser' stickers on the dirtbins at Bondi Beach last year, great idea!

Sorry no image available

I can’t agree more with the need to penalize these Moronic Butt-Flickers !  <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Butt-Flickers are the number one culprit, leading litterbugs in almost every westernized country worldwide.  They – in particular – seem to have attained the vertiginous heights of ignorance to which litterers so evidently strive!

What has me flabbergasted – is that they so often carry out the act in an air of  ...

i)        Faked innocence > Complete unawareness

ii)       Chill out buddie – it’s just a small cigarette butt

iii)      Arrogance > Ignorance  > Who gives a damn

iv)      Everybody Else does it

Crap!!   We KNOW they’re not biodegradable – the evidence is all around us!  Reports vary as to how long it takes for the acetate (plastic) product in the filters to break down – some say 5-12 years – some reports say it never fully breaks down! 

Apart from sheer ignorance, stupidity ... (yawn) ... I won’t bore you with a long list of adjectives, however; as MikeP has pointed out – this moronic behaviour is also OFTEN the cause of disaster.  Personally I would also like to see the Fire Brigade Services in combination with National Parks Services take a more active roll in the education of their local communities.  There are two words in French that require more attention:  ‘sensibilisation’ and ‘réalisation’.

I would like to believe that to most of us, much of this is just common sense.  Somehow – the older I get, the more I loose faith in “common sense”. 

Here is a link to an interesting site via their FIRE DANGER page.

Also ... <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Australia has an interesting anti-litter campaign going now.  They’ve changed from the “Do The Right Thing” slogan to “Don’t Be A Tosser!”    I like it ... unfortunately – it doesn’t translate very acceptably into French!