DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

What is it about the Brits?

Posted by stgeorge-182529 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by dlmarlow - 14 years ago

Dear Fish,

no no dear boy WD40 will not work on 'grumpy-wife'..., now perhaps try shaving before all that morning kissing, the deoderant thing works well too not to mention a bouquet of flowers delivared with a slow foot massage from your shaved-deodorized self accomanied by soft murmerings of love inspired by her unmatched beauty....... well fish, if she doesn't melt into a puddle of sweetness...well then and ONLY then...follow StG's advice......

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 14 years ago

Pleased to hear about the fan - sorry to hear about your wife ! WD40 is excellent for anything that's seized up , but some objects can be more stubborn than others - time and patience is required , and if there's still no luck , ditch it and get a new one ! I'm sure you know the expression 'flogging a dead Moulinex ' !!stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by fish-187106 - 14 years ago

St G

Thanks for the help. Fan running well but wife still grumpy. Will WD40 do the trick on her?

Thanks again.

Fish

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rouretan - 14 years ago

Hear, Hear, a slow moving fan in the room is more than adequate, but I can't help wondering if our US cousins haven't got some master plan to flood the market with cheap A/C units once they have finally destroyed the ozone layer with CO² gases.

I shall now stand back and wait for something to hit that fan...

Sorry no image available
Posted by t-stag-180429 - 14 years ago

Air con is great if properly installed and maintained.  All that cool air generates an equal amount of heat and it has to go somewhere.  Either ducted outside or fed into a water tank.  If the water isn't changed daily it will go stagnant and the bacteria builds up.  Better to aclimitise to the heat and drink lots of water!

Sorry no image available

Unclip the front cage , unscrew the collar ( reverse thread) from the fan blades , draw  the fan blades off the spindle , and remove the back of the cage - depending what make of Fan you have , there may or may not be washers . This gives you access to the front motor bearing inside the housing - normally it's not necessary to remove this , and just squirt WD40 onto the bearing until you can turn the shaft easily. There could be a bearing at the back of the motor as well. If the spindle still won't turn , the motor is probably seized or burnt out , but normally you can smell this ! Plug the Fan in and test that the spindle turns before re-assembling !

Good Luck !

stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by fish-187106 - 14 years ago

St G

Sorry to be serious, but how do you get at the bearings? Much dismantling necessary? P;ease reply soonest as broken fan on kitchen table and grumpy wife on sofa!

Fish

Sorry no image available

irfs !

It's not a question of being hard up , more ' you'd be amazed what people throw out ' !! Great believer in re-cycling also !! Since I found some gold coins in an item of  old broken furniature on this tip in La Turbie .........!!

stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by irfs - 14 years ago

...........and what are you doing rummaging about on rubbish tips Mr STG ??? And even worse, taking stuff you found there, back home!!!!!

Look if you are that hard up, come and wash my windscreen, I'll give you a  euro.

x

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

Air conditioning may be a temporary aid to comfort,  but long term it has appalling side effects both on us and on the environment.

Many office ACU's recirculate stale germ laden air.  This can be partially rectified by frequent changes of the filters.  Many companies (the words 'cheap' and 'skate' come to mind) do not do this.  This also applies to aircraft, one of the reasons that we often have respiratory malfunctions after flying - I have no doubt that this also contributed to the spread of SARS.

ACU's (particularly in cars) release harmful gasses (CFC's) into the environment.

The power consumed has to generated somewhere,  this contributes to global warming.  Increasing use of A/C is creating a vicious circle effect.

There are negative health effects too,  the commonest simply being those caused by the constant changes from outside ambient air temperature to cooled interior air.

We could live without air conditioning.  It is an unneccessary evil in this part of the world.  In places like Dire Dawa there might be a case for it.  Here there isn't.