DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Why don't they speak up?

Posted by Hasley-210335 - Created: 10 years ago
0 0

I want to believe that not all muslim are terrorist, I don't want to be afraid and suspicious of all muslim. I believe that the terrorist are a small (although loudly heard) faction of the muslim population.

So why don't the "good" muslims speak up. Why do you only hear about the terrorist speaking up?

I saw the story on the news lately that the imans may not be properly prepared to guide the extremist they come across. But I have to believe that there are many, many educated and successful muslims out there - why don't they speak up and out against these factions and try to guide those "lost" souls away from the dark side?

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by fugly-185614 - 10 years ago

here is a link to the article i mention above:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6902942.stm

Sorry no image available

ok, i concede, some of my facts about the first and second world war may have been slightly inaccurate.mah- good idea but i fear a thread like that would end up being one big argument.have you guys heard about the guy who was arrested recently at an airport and jailed for three and a half years for having the blue prints for a missile/ rocket?maybe the good muslims dont speak up because they would be admitting that their fellow muslims are doing wrong. Maybe they fear that the same punishment maybe be handed out to the bad muslims as well as the good muslims, or perhaps they dont believe that a muslim can do bad. Maybe if they see us a infidels they think that the bombers are doing a good thing.

Sorry no image available
Posted by mansardus - 10 years ago

Thanks RJH, first good laugh I've had today. BTW Fugly, Hitler was a humble soldier in the 1stWW so I don't think he had any say at all in its inception; and his hatred of the Jews stemmed from his hatred of the RACE not the RELIGION.

Getting back to Hasley's original topic I have to admit that I am becoming more nervous around people who seem to be of ME and Pakistani origin. When these people come to this country to undertake further medical training and then are involved in terrorist activity, eg Glasgow Airport incident, it beggars belief. Two examples: Late last year I sat next to a British born Pakistani young man going on the airport bus to Heathrow en route for Pakistan. He was travelling alone, leaving his young daughter and wife behind in B'ham. We had a very pleasant conversation but it only struck me later that he could be one of the Jihadists going for training with Al Queda. The other occasion when I felt distinctly uncomfortable was in a taxi driven by another young ?Pakistani man. The radio in the taxi had a news item on (very loudly) about the prosecution of an Immam for preaching Jihad in the UK. Neither I nor the driver said a word but there was a very strong sense of tension. I would have liked to ask him his opinion on the item but thought it best not to. I got the impression that he was nervous that I would and we were both relieved I think when the journey was over. These are just two instances in my perfectly ordinary life where, having had a long career that involved caring for multicultural families in the local community, I have EVER felt a sense of unease. I think I can't be the only person who has felt like this since this particular terrorism came to Britain. It's time the moderate Muslims in Britain condemned the terrorists in their midst loudly and clearly, but I think they are just too afraid. Perhaps it will happen one day.

Sorry no image available
Posted by mah-226399 - 10 years ago

Interesting post fugly but maybe you should open up a new thread so we can discuss world religions a bit more.

Sorry no image available

sonipso- i think i would need to carry out more research before writing a thesis on such a matter.This is slightly off topic but if you will indulge me i will explain a little about hinduism as you mention it in your last post, i myself am not hindu i will stress. Hinduism is one of the oldest religions and most of the holy books of this religion are written in sand script. They believe that the world and life has a Generator- who creates, an Operater- who maintains and a Destroyer- who destroys (its may just be coincidence that an acronym for these 3 roles spells god).the creater is a guy called Vishnu, it is believed that at the end of his life he would then come back as a different form, hence the different forms of hinduism. One of the people he came back as was Buddha. Buddhism is a branch of hindusim, its a lot more complicated than this but i am trying to be brief.Because the hindu's are so passive and share many of the same beliefs as buddhism when a neighbouring country declared war on them they could not defend themselves.It is at this time that the Sikh religion was formed. The Sikh religion is a warrior religion that was formed to fight the battles that the hindus could not. This is why sikhs grow their hair, wear a small knife (there are 5 things they do) it is a constant reminder that they are warriors.that is a very brief outline to hinduism, but essentially they believe that you should not hurt any other living creature, as i said, slightly off topic but as you asked i thought i would shed some light for you.

Sorry no image available

And when I talked of my life it was as an illustration of the type of society I have lived in all my life which is a society essentially at peace with itself. Your experience and the places you lived in may well have been war zones, I don't know. But most people I know and have met have also lived in relatively peaceful societies. So unless we decide that what counts is the headlines and only the headlines which talk of war and violence then I think it is fair to conclude that there is quite a lot of peace which goes unnoticed and unreported. It exists nevertheless and it has been there all throughout history. I will never accept that we are mere murderous animals just waiting for our chance to kill. Maybe some of us are but they are very small minority.

Sorry no image available

A totalitarian peace? Yes I think that's what some people are trying to sell us and others are trying to impose. Ugly stuff in my opinion. I'd rather have the home grown peace. I think I can get by with the not very grandiose peace that most people in the world have enjoyed most of the time. Totalitarian peace of all people everywhere doesn't appeal to me. Sometimes I think that those that suggest that our human history has only been one of war and suffering are trying to get us used to the idea that war and suffering are somehow 'natural'. These seem to be the same people who blast us with bad news and photos of starvation and destruction at the first opportunity. If that is indeed the agenda then it is a demonic one. I don't think our human nature condems us to an endless cycle of violence.

Some great ideas there sonipso.

Sorry no image available
Posted by sonipso - 10 years ago

Fugly:"the first and second world wars could be attributed to a slight mental imbalance within Hitler."

Your credibility is seriously at risk, Fugly. Have you considered writing up that thesis ?

Scatty:"My definition of peace & harmony when used in the context of history is all people in all places, not the way you have specifically lived your life."

That would be a kind of totalitarian peace and harmony then, Scattyperson. Each of us has experienced in his humdrum daily life examples of disinterested kindness and been grateful for it, though possibly assigning all credit to ourself, when the need has passed. I am conscious of being indebted to many people who have shown me kindness when it has been of no personal advantage to themselves. This grain of goodness is at the heart of religion. When religion becomes formalised, tabulated, enshrined in hierarchy, it becomes open to abuse - a social tool. I know nothing about Hinduism except that I have heard of the Hindu chain of giving. I understand it to mean that we can never repay the love and care our parents gave us as we were growing. All we can do is pass it on to others. Also necessary in my view is to learn to distinguish between those in whom the 'grain of goodness' is strong and those who use and exploit it. This cannot be learned like a catechism, it is a daily challenge.

Sorry no image available
Posted by CroissantLove - 10 years ago

I disagree. I can't be bothered as to what happens in the middle east and the different factions in Iraq (who were kept in check by Saddam) can wipe each other out for all I care. Similarly I don't care what happens in Africa, etc... I wish them luck and hope they resolve their issues, I just don't want them to come here and make it worse than it already is because of the unchecked immigration.

They, the Muslim extreemists, who ever, must just leave us (and by that I mean normal Europeans) alone. Now clearly most people here disagree in being in my collective 'us', but I meant people that think like me.

Further to that I never said how I lived my life, just how I see things.

Pity it's all going to the dogs! And by that I'm quoting the expression, not calling the problematic immigrants dogs, lest that be the interpretation some might understand.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Scattyperson-217253 - 10 years ago

Mah- you've just gone round in a circle as far as I can see.

To wit: Sonipso raised the prospect in the context of global peace, this was followed up first by Tonni Ned as being an unattainable concept. You, Mah, then spoke about liking the "idea" of peace & harmony & I said I do too, but that I too thought it unattainable as proved by history; CroissantLove & fugly too. You then changed from talking about the "idea", to how you lived your life- which seemed irrelevant to the thread & what had gone before, to my mind, but anyway, after being challenged, many times, you now say that the very thing that prompted this element of the discussion, ie global peace, is "a big ask".