DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Barking Dog...driving me mad!

Posted by thinklucky - Created: 6 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by peacocks-308583 - 6 years ago

I have a little bichon Maltese and considering these are supposed to be very yapping dogs he is anything but he is a sweetie and a great alert dog we live near a busy roads with bike riders and people walking past sometimes and he only barks to alert us someone is near our gate or house . I think it's coz he is a happy dog I truly believe a dog barking constantly is an unhappy dog, the owners are the ones at fault by not showing this dog any attention as clearly that's all he wants. I would go speak to the mairie as well :-)

Sorry no image available
Posted by jil-234041 - 6 years ago

Ha ha !!! I love it!1 The perfect solution....Jilx

Sorry no image available
Posted by gers2011 - 6 years ago

We have a barking Dog near us and wee love it.....why?? because there are so many homes being burgled..but when the burglars hear a dog...!!!!

Sorry no image available

Sensible alternative ...let's hope the family don't ' take it out on the dog' ! Good Luck.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Suzanne C-192641 - 6 years ago

Hello. There are regulations against excessive noise and this also applies to constantly barking dogs. If your neighbours refuse to do anything about this then you would need to contact your Mairie and explain the problem. Write a letter "recommandee" and they should deal with it. Good luck, we have had the same problem and our Mairie sorted it out quite quickly.

Sorry no image available

AH!! that is an additional problem ...true. Would it be viable to greet the dog and toss the treat? a cocktail sausage ( cheep, small but a bit weighty ) might do it. The alternative is to rely on the cheerful greeting every time....will take longer but it works! Bon Courage

Sorry no image available
Posted by thinklucky - 6 years ago

Jil
thx for the suggestion, but the dog is in the neighbours garden and is about at least 20m away from the closest point I could get to it as well as being some 5m higher up a steep slope away from us, on its side of the fence, so bit of a physical impossibility to even endeavour to bond with it.

Sorry no image available

Good Evening, i have been ' rescuing'' traumatised dogs for many years and I can assure you it's not the dog's fault!! What has happened is that the dog has ' picked up' the antagonism of your neighbours and is acting it out for them. Here's a suggestion....next time it starts, approach the dog in a confident manner, smiling and say in a bright tone ' Bonjour Cherie' or something like that and then offer it a small treat. Do this each time until the Dog becomes your friend....it will no longer feel the transference.and may completely stop the barking. There are no guarantees of course but I have known this approach to be very successful. It is likely to develoop the habit of sitting there watching you with kindly feelings. Very annoying for your neighbours though!!! Good Luck!! let us know how it goes! Jil