DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Sanglier...

Posted by Rosbif-185958 - Created: 15 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 15 years ago

WYSYWOG until you shoot it !

Go to http://www.sangliers.net to see suggestions on equipment and tracking le bête !

stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 15 years ago

Taking on a wild boar without suitable ordnance is not advised. Put it this way - in a straight fight between a sanglier and an American Pit Bull, the pig would come out the winner. I've done it once, in a panic, to save my dog (not a Pit Bull, but better described as a half-Cocker), but it's not something I ever plan to do again.

Also, butchering a boar yourself is not for those who wish to be long-lived. The parasites these things carry around are really very nasty, and it needs a pro to cut them up in a way that prevents the nasties from entering you...

Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rosbif-185958 - 15 years ago

ROFL!

Sorry no image available

When you've got the problem sorted and spoken to your local butcher ( I don't know any Brits down here who skin and prepare their wild boar for the pot !! ) , I've got some great recipés from my Corsican cousins , including how to smoke the hind leg in your outhouse ( which you're planning ? ) - bacon rashers with a difference !! Daube de sanglier with polenta , paté de sanglier , roast joint of sanglier , sanglier cooked in apple cider vinegar , BBQ sanglier , roast potatoes cooked in sanglier fat etc etc !

See your taxidermist as well ( in Nice ), to mount the trophies on the walls and regail your dinner guests with tales of derring do in the Provencal scrublands !!

Throw Delia Smith in the gash bin !

stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rosbif-185958 - 15 years ago

Thanks for that advise - I'm going to check out some of those links in a sec.  I can appreciate the billiard table problem too, mike.  I didn't know these things ate moles as well.  That would explain the size of some of these holes.

Well, we were out last night to try and get some hard evidence and what happened? The big fat beasts turned up!  So we started filming. you can get remarkably close to these things and sihning a, IkeLite 17watt dive torch at them doesn't seem to bother them. 

However, we did get a little close and we managed to alarm them.  Instead of running away (we left plenty of room for them to flee) they ran STRAIGHT TOWARDS US! so we legged it in the opposite direction.  Unfortunately, i tripped up over a large plant pot on the way round in the dark, and so injured my foot.  grrr!

got them on film though! :D

Sorry no image available

Sangliers eat moles as well as apples ,potatoes, carrots etc - all the more reason to get the Mairie involved as soon as possible before the summer when everything gets overgrown and the chasseurs start shooting each other as well as your sangliers !

stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 15 years ago

quote:Anyone got similar problems?

Thanks to the sangliers our lawn is now like a billiard table.

(no grass, and holes all over the place)

Mike

Sorry no image available

This is where you swing into action and use the French Administration to work to your advantage !

Firstly , the Mairie should be systematically informed , if this becomes a persistant problem ,either by a personal visit or by Lettre Recommandée ! Examples are to be find on this site , depending what your circumstances are :

http://www.environnement.gouv.fr/formulaires/#degats-gibier and not forgetting that , in addition you can claim compensation for damage from the secretary of the Commune , if this is warranted . It is the Communes responsibility to keep the sanglier population in check , as this is very early in the year , probably indicating over population due to the recent warm weather - they're hungry !!

Secondly , and if you feel so inclined , let everyone know about this ,speak to or write to your local municipal counseller, local hunting authorities,(Office National de la chasse http://www.onc.gouv.fr ) the regional press (www.nice-matin.fr ) or even the Prime Minister Jean-Pierre Raffarin , who is currently going out of his way to try and please the Brits on instructions from his Boss ( http://premier-ministre.gouv.fr ) etc etc; You also have to insist that it is totally abnormal these animals are causing such major damage in habitated built up areas ,where local prominent figures have undoubtedly been ' seen allright ' in giving planning permission on protected olive groves and their equivalent of our Green Belt !

To resign yourself to not indicating the problem to the authorities will lead them to be unaware and thus not do anything about it !

It sounds like your neighbour has gone to a lot of personal expense , whereas if he'd followed the correct procedures , the State would have sorted this out by now at their expense !!

I wish you luck - you'll need Adobe Acrobat to download example letters !

Last but not least I always seem to get a positive response from the site http://www.environnement.gouv.fr whatever my grievance is !! You will have noticed how clean the beaches are in Biarritz !!

stgeorge