DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Toads (?)

Posted by Nestor-238792 - Created: 6 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by panta-271179 - 6 years ago

I do agree that the toads make a discusting mess ! They are very territorial, they have their own "place" around our house.Our dog wants to catch them, but not a good idea as poisenous! I caught some and put them in the forrest. They live in the drainage system arround the pool, I just put a big stone in front of the hole so he will have to go and "poo" somewhere else.
The ones around our house are huge, as big as an adult chiwawa, really, horrible! They do eat mousquito's though.......

Sorry no image available
Posted by job-212223 - 6 years ago

Yes its defintely toads that are making your mess. We actually caught our toads in the act of going to the toilet and I agree their 'mess' is the same size as our cats!!!!!

At first I thought we had a dog coming into our garden messing everywhere and couldn't quite believe it was a toad doing this. I caught ours in the end and put it in the nearby pinede, so far it hasn't returned.

Good luck

Sorry no image available
Posted by Nestor-238792 - 6 years ago

We have lived in this house with pool from new for over 20 years. During that time the pool has always been well-maintained and has never been a breeding ground for anything.

Over the years, from time to time, we have had toads in the pool on a small scale, and also frogs (reinettes) which we have caught and taken to a small stream not too far away, and cleared up the mess accordingly. This last lot, however, has been quite a different thing. The droppings around the edge of the pool, of which there were several, were the size of those of a medium/small dog and in the pool itself it looked as if about 50 creatures had spent their time trying to make as much mess as possible. Believe me it has been more than any reasonable person would want to accept.

We have naturally cleared up the mess and then sprayed around the pool with "Eau de Javel" and treated the pool with "Chlor Choc". For the last two nights we have had no more visitors.

Perhaps it has not been toads at all but some other amphibean. Any ideas?

Sorry no image available
Posted by GAnthony - 6 years ago

Oops, silly me. Toads are of course amphibians not reptiles. Anyway, rather than regularly clearing up their mess, I still maintain that relocating them gently to a place near water is the best solution.

Sorry no image available
Posted by jil-234041 - 6 years ago

Why not live and let live? We had Toads a few years ago, we left them alone and they left us alone...ok there was a ' mess' to clear up but think of the mess we Humans make of the habitats of animals!!

Sorry no image available

Nestor, toad are rather lazy reptiles, and don't often move very far away from the attraction of water. They hide during the day in cool damp places, so if you search around you may well discover them snoozing during the hottest part of the day. Anyway, if you are serious about ridding yourself of this obvious pest, then set the alarm for the dead-of-night, and go out and ambush the little devil(s). Worth a try I would say. Once gone a distance, they won't come back. By the way, toads as frogs will always try to return to the place where they were spawned. Perhaps in the past the pool may have been neglected, and they now call it 'home'. What you don't need to do is allow them to spawn in your pool. Good luck.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Nestor-238792 - 6 years ago

This might be possible in the lighter nights but at the moment these devils only come out to do their dirty deeds in the dead of night!

Sorry no image available

Nestor, when we had this problem, we just captured the toad(s), carefully placed them in a cardboard box, and then released them in a local park near to a river. When people saw us releasing toads, they probably thought we were nuts, but it solved the problem.