DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Any canals down there?

Posted by cows bite people - Created: 15 years ago
0 0

Hi folks Im thinking of taking my boat down to the cda but I am not sure if the canals down there link to the north of france has anyone made this trip is it possible ...I feel like im in un charted waters here

Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by talldutch - 15 years ago

Hi There,

I have taken my boat from jersey to Antibes a few years ago. It was a fantastic trip. You pass paris, Bourgogne, Lyon etc.

The draught of my boat is 1M60. I think that is the limit. I touched the bottom a few times, but for the rest no problem. I counted about 210 locks, all operated differently. Every lock is a challenge and lots of fun.

For more details, you can call me on 0610840505.

Jos

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 15 years ago

The Canal du Midi,  which runs from Sete, near Montpellier,  to Bordeaux,  is probably the closest.

Having spent a couple of pleasant breaks on it, I would recommend it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 15 years ago

Ummmm.... there is a subtle difference between "CdA" as asked for by the base poster and "south of France" answered in the first reply.

I don't think there are any navigable canals to the CdA.  The only canal I know of is the canal de la Siagne which, last time I looked, did not have enough water in it to interest a duck.

Sorry no image available
Posted by LaDraille-183995 - 15 years ago

Yes it is possible to take you boat via canal from the foorth, down to the south of France.  There are a number of books published giving advice.