DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Are there any self-defense classes in Nice?

Posted by zoe-180327 - Created: 17 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by quin-191138 - 15 years ago

just browsing too, love the idea of using martial arts to learn french , understand or get hit !!!! thats gave me a laugh,

anyway I am looking for karate class as a beginner, i live in Grasse but can travel if necessary. If anyone has any details of classes i'd be grateful.

dachshunds rule ok

Sorry no image available
Posted by JJ-183649 - 15 years ago

Aikido club in Sophia Antipolis, also linked to same club in Nice (Nice Nord, at the Fac). Sophia main courses Wednesday evenings and Saturday mornings, but also other evenings too. Contact me if you need details.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Sessi-187507 - 15 years ago

Hello,

I found this while browsing. I would like to train aikido in nice/antibes/near by as well.

Si: Did you get an aikido group together? Is there an active group training anywhere in this area?

I would be very grateful for the information.

Sorry no image available
Posted by sel-181697 - 16 years ago

Try, Nicolas Hemeret (3éme Dan) at 06 14 20 83 01. Nice. Le Bréa16 Av. Notre Dame (under the magasin Jouets CONTESSO Nice 04 93 92 12 30)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Juanito-181679 - 16 years ago

Hi Si,I've been reading your posts and I wanted to ask if you know of any Aikido classes/clubs in Nice (I'm near Notre Dame). I'm a hack who took classes a while ago and wants to get back into it again.Any info that you have would be greatly appreciated.Regards,Juanito

Sorry no image available
Posted by chrisandpetra - 16 years ago

Hello all,does anyone know of martial art classes for children (age 8 )in/near Nice.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Si-180835 - 16 years ago

Stu,Where are you based by the way and I'll sort out that list of clubs for you.CheersSi

Sorry no image available

Hi Stu,Give me a couple of days and I'll see what I can sort out. I have set up a room where I give boxing lessons and do quite a bit of sparring in that. If I can get hold of a few mats or get a room where there are some I can do the same in Jiu Jitsu. I also find that it's a great way to learn french....you either understand what they tell you or you get hit :-) Far quicker than conventional lessons !!! (I am just kidding by the way )I was/am thinking of holding an Self Defence 'open day' Where people can come along to a class and judge for themselves whether they want to take a lesson, 10 lessons or whatever. If people are interested in participating or just watching please let me know. If there is the interest there I'll gladly do it. This will be totally free and we can have a drink or something afterwards. Si

Sorry no image available
Posted by stuart_j_wright - 16 years ago

Hi Si,Thanks for your quick response.I would be very interested in hearing about the Ju-Jitsu (or even Aikido) classes in the area. I am already aware that they are available -problem is I don't speak French just yet, and so I haven't been keen to attend with the inherent language problem. That is why I was interested in your remarks in this forum actually :)French national standard I'm not - my interest is more personal. I do hold a 2nd Kyu (in Ju-Jitsu from Shihan de Jong and Shihan Beckman in Australia). I did want to move into it slowly as I haven't executed a throw in about 6 years or so ... any advice you might provide would be appreciated.Many thanks in advance,Stu.

Sorry no image available

Hi Stuart,The classes themselves haven't got underway yet, although as I keep getting requests I must make the effort and do something soon.You are correct in the assumption of background martial arts, I hold a black belt in Jiu Jitsu, and also instructor grades in Aikido and Kung Fu, although the self defence aspects are adapted purely for street scenarios and therefore differ slightly to the martial arts classes.If you're interested I can point you in the direction of both Jiu Jitsu and Aikido classes in the area. I'm currently training with a competion Jiu Jitsu team in Grasse which holds French National champions as the students, as well as the instructor.let me know if your interested, and I promise I will make time to arrange the self defence classes too.Si