DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Best ski area &lt1;4hrs drive from Nice

Posted by lob-189383 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

Any opinions - don't want a ski factory type place like Isola 2000, Val Thorens, La Plagne, Tignes etc. but somewhere with a challenging ski area.

Chamonix is a bit far - has anyone driven to just the otherside of the Frejus tunnel, dumped the car and taken the Trois Vallee's express which drops you in the Val Thorens valley? 

Thks,
Lob

Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by airletter - 14 years ago

Foux d'Allos is a far sweeter-smelling armpit than most of the so-called resorts around here. Most of them really are no more than 'last-resorts'. Been to the previous suggestion of Deux Alpes, and that's no better than Isola character/atmosphere/ambience-wise, although I admit the skiing is great. If you want to stay local the options are very, very limited. The Val d'Allos domaine, with La Foux at the top end of it, is probably the best bet in my opinion, and it has a decent range of accommodation too, unlike Auron. I've given up on the other local places other than for a quick in-out day trip with the kids, and prefer to save up a few euros and slug it out on the autoroutes/autostradas to get to Switzerland, which is better value now than it's ever been, it's got heaps of atmosphere, terrific skiing and plenty to do when you've had enough of those darn boots! And a skiing mecca like Zermatt can be reached in five hours from Cannes.

Sorry no image available
Posted by NH-189638 - 14 years ago

I thought you wanted to go for the challenging skiing which is less than 4 hours away? It is not the prettiest town but it's much closer, depends what you are going for. Les Deux Alps is nearly 5 hours from Monaco?

Sorry no image available
Posted by lob-189383 - 14 years ago

isn't the town of Foux d'Allos a bit of an armpit?  Anyone been to les Deux Alpes?

Sorry no image available
Posted by NH-189638 - 14 years ago

How about Foux D'Allos?

Sorry no image available
Posted by lob-189383 - 14 years ago

sorry - forgot to say - somewhere other than Limone, Auron and Isola 2000 too.  Yup - I love Limone but fancy a change and somewhere more challenging.

Sorry no image available
Posted by stef2828 - 14 years ago

Hi!

Why don't you go to Limone in Italy?

It is closeby, easy to drive! Take the highway to Menton - Go in direction of Vintimiglia - exit Vintimiglia - and then follow Cuneo and Tende and then Limone

good view

the ski resort is great not pack, not jamed at this time of the year and really great fun

Steph