DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Bike Transporters - New law?

Posted by MartinS-188518 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by RamonaNan - 7 years ago

hi
i just moved to Nice and am very fond of doing sports. i run, [lay squash, spinning and from time to time mountain biking.
would really like to go back on the bike so i am trying to find new friends to go on new routes around and have some decent week ends.
Would be interested to join groups if possible, are you a biker whom could take me along?
Ramona
ramona.nan@gmail.com

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 8 years ago

They're still being sold, e.g.:

http://www.feuvert.fr/9/34666/porte-velos/mottez-a025pmon.htm

The issue seems to be with those racks where, with a bike or bikes fitted, number plates and/or lights are obscured in any way. Those, it would appear, are unacceptable. Perhaps Décathlon withdrew a range that tended to obscure such key parts of the rear of the car?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Linda Caird-193057 - 8 years ago

I would also like to know if there is a law against the strap on bike racks for cars.Have they been banned.

Sorry no image available
Posted by marie11 - 9 years ago

I realise this is a very old posting, but does anyone have an update regarding the law on using a bikerack that straps onto the back of your car? Decathalon doesn't sell them anymore. Also, does anyone have any recommendations/experiences good or bad using the strap-on version?

Thanks,

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 13 years ago

Last time I went to Decathlon they were still selling them, so it must have been a bad batch last year.

If you get one, dont forget the bit of duct tape on the hooks.

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by MARGE-191462 - 13 years ago

Any updates on this topic as I need to buy a bike rack.

Thanks  

Sorry no image available
Posted by Mark Harrison - 14 years ago

Safety First. Leave the car at home.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Aroncb - 14 years ago

I had a strap on rack on a boot mounted rack come loose going down the M3.  Having two bikes flapping in front of you must have been a scary experience for the car behind.  No damage done though. 

Although being on a hard shoulder in bad visibility and weather trying to attach two bikes with straps I tore off my back back is a frightening experience I don't want to repeat.

I now rely on some bungee straps and good old rope and scouting know how.  Can't be beaten.

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

The boot racks are the easiest way to transport bikes.  You have to make sure they are secure but that goes for everything.  The roof racks that hold the bike upside down are not very secure, the bike tends to twist out of the attachments during cornering.

My neighbour had a tow-ball rack, and it came off on the road

A boot rack will take two adult bikes, or maybe three lightweight bikes.

If you put a couple of hooks on your garage wall, you can hook the carrier on that and keep the bikes on the wall.  Great for oiling and tinkering!

If they get banned you can still keep it as a garage rack.

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by yjme-181229 - 14 years ago

All sounds a bit frightening and a lot of hard work to me. Think I'll tell my boys they can just make do with their trottinettes!