DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Buying a Horse

Posted by Sassy-185996 - Created: 15 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

3 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 3)

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 15 years ago

Well Sassy - regarding where to look for a horse - particularly if you do not speak French - my advice is to be very careful.  I'll e-mail you with details of a horse a friend has for sale.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Sassy-185996 - 15 years ago

Thanks for your kind offer.I raised thoroughbreds in Canada and showed, raced and hunted them. You are right I know nothing about the French ways.I live near Valbonne and would like to keep the horse at St Georges or a similar place. Any suggessions where to look for a horse?

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 15 years ago

Obviously if you don't speak French and you are buying a mature horse, you'll need a bit of help in translation to discuss the potential purchase details and to understand the horse's history, riding temperament etc.  Also in France, you need to be careful about papers.  There are a lot of semmingly good deals around where although the horse has vet papers, it  does not have papers of origin sufficient for entering even the most simple of concours if that is something you might want to do.

But more importantly than that - where are you going to stable the horse?  If you already have facilities then you are very lucky.  If not then you'll need to shop around to talk about "pension" arrangements - there I would imagine that you will need a lot more assistance in discussion to find something that suits.  Whereabouts are you located?

Send me e-mail if you have a purchase in mind - I'd be happy to assist you in talking to the seller.