DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Dive shops?

Posted by Miss Varna - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Miss Varna - 14 years ago

Thanks for all replies. I have called Claude this afternoon (noone answered the phone in the morning BTW), but a) he quoted a price of 160Euros and b) it would take over a week to get one, but we are leaving in 4 days :( Another dive shop in Juan-Les-Pins, easy dive, wanted 100Euros less! Just returning from Decathlon - they did have optical lenses there, but -of course- not with my dioptries :( And delivery from the supplier would take one week :( They want 40 Euros per lense, plus the cost for the mask.

I have no choice but looking in Manila...

Thanks for everybody's help!

Sorry no image available
Posted by stella-193207 - 14 years ago

Hey, Ive dived all over the Philippines, there are some great dives and great dive shops but never have I seen the mask that you need. Get it here if you can. I got my mask, same prescription as yours in Dubai. Only 110 Euros and it did take one week. The only over the counter mask that Dubai had was 4. Go to Neptunes, its a great shop and Claude might be able to help.

Sorry no image available

Never seen such masks in France? Hmmm :-( They are available in dive shops in Germany for 30-50Euros, and in the Dominican Republic they even had them at a base for rent.

They do not need to carry too many different ones, they come with -0.5, -1.0, -1.5 etc and no cylinders which is why they are cheaper than with prescription lenses. And since I need new lenses every year, it'd be too expensive to get a mask with prescription lenses each time :-(

Or does anybody know, by chance, if such masks are widely available in the Philippines?

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 14 years ago

well Miss Varna - good luck with that approach - I have never seen such masks in France and a shop would need to carry a huge range to satisfy the many different customer needs.  In any case Neptune don't have them - they simply order the two optically correcting faceplates to go into the mask shell.  Rough cost is around 150 Euros total. 

Claude is diving in the morning.  Call him in the afternoon if you want more info.  He speaks English if you need it.

Sorry no image available

Thanks for the address, I will check the shop out. But, legend, I do not want to buy a mask and have optical lenses put in, this is too expensive (~200Euro). I'd rather buy a mask that has optical lenses already. It won't be 100% what I need, of course - I have -5.75 and -5.5 plus cylinder etc, but I know that I'll be fine with a -5.0 mask with no cylinder and other extras. Such masks are only 50Euros max, and this is what I'm looking for as on top of everything, I have not enough time left to have the lenses made. Went to an optician on Sat who said they'd need 1 week minimum :-(

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 14 years ago

Both Jan and Stella are referring to the same shop.  Strictly speaking it is not La Bocca, rather Mandelieu. 

They do have the masks that will take your prescription lenses.

Neptune Plongée225 ALLEE LOUIS BLERIOT 06210 MANDELIEU LA NAPOULE
04 93 90 98 76

Sorry no image available
Posted by stella-193207 - 14 years ago

I found a great dive shop myself only Saturday. The owners name is claude. I think the shop was called neptune but could be wrong on that. It was behind Darty at Mandeleau. Good luck. Stella

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jan-181414 - 14 years ago

There's a good dive shop in Cannes le Bocca, just behind Quick.

Decathlon also have a good selection, the Antibes store has a better choice than Grasse.

Jan
'anything for an easy life'