DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Mountain Bike Trails

Posted by Ads-191799 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

Can anyone suggest some good Mountain Bike routes within an hour of Nice.

Thanks

Sorry no image available

3 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 3)

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

This book is quite good.  Amazon are out of stock but you may find it in the book shops.  The descriptions are in French, but the diagrams are easy to follow, especially if you have the TOP25 map of the area.

I usually download the traces to a Garmin eTrex GPS, then on the trail I can just follow the trace without having to stop and look at the map all the time.

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by tkw - 14 years ago

The trail along the Brague river is rather easy but pretty but should not be done on weekends this time of year (especially near Biot) as you are constantly required to get off your bike or yell at the walkers in front of you...spoiling both yours and their peace. A bike bell is pretty much required to get any enjoyment out of this trail.

The esterel is good for fire road bombing with some good technical decents most of which are closed to bikers.

Also anywhere in the Valmasque forest up toward Sophia/Vallauris is nearby but can get busy.

Col de Vence area is good too (but mostly fireroads). You need a proper trail map with trail numbers to find your way around here though.

The tourist office also puts out a VTT (mountain bike) booklet for the area.

Sorry no image available
Posted by jjoepage - 14 years ago

I ride frequently in Nice area.  My favorite is Esterelle for climbing slow days.  Go to Theole sur Mer and and park in car park #4.  You'll find the trail head from there.  But, far better than that is Valbonne-biot along side the Brague river.  Go to Valbonne Village, find the little church at the bottom of the village and go 100 meters south to turn right onto the best trail you have ever seen.  It is dark and very pretty for 18 kilometers to Biot village which is very nice to do some urban riding and have a beer at Cafe Brun, say hi to David the owner is a great guy.  Then return via same route.  Several of my friends who rode in many places said this is the best trail they have ridden in their Mtb careers.  It is a really unusual trail and very beautiful the whole way. Its all good